Cartridge Case Ejection

sp4rkman

Hi all,

I've got a CZ550 which i bought new a few months ago. I've been spending a bit of time on the range getting to know the rifle and also working on a few loads (new to reloading). I've noticed that my spent cases aren't being ejected very well when i open the bolt. It appears that with most the bolt simply leaves the case in the breech. Some however eject well, especially if the magazine is empty.

Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone know what could be causing it and how i can repair this?

sp4rkman

How far a case is ejected often depends on the speed and effort with which you open the bolt. Slowly and gently opening the bolt will often just leave the case resting in the ejection port, vigorous activation of the bolt will eject a case some distance.
Occasionally ejectors do stick and this can be from debris such as brisles from cleaning brushes or even swarf from manufacture. I would check the bolt and ejector first and give it a thorough clean. Then if you are certain it is faulty take it back to the supplier.

Do you load your own because i have known this happen a good few times with brass that has a thick rim eg lap brass. But once it is fired and is used as fire formed it will be OK if its factory Norma brass has a thick rim that the extractor doesn't some times reach round.

CZ550 varmint doesn't have an spring loaded ejector, so unloading slowly leaves the case in the gun, fine for varmint and benchrest shooters as they collect the empty brass, not a fault just a characteristic.

Back