UK Deer Dog Group

308rws

Admin

The SD site is well supported with some 1200 members/users. Is there sufficient interest to trial a UK Deer Dog Group, similar to those in Scandanavia? SD members would have access to trained deer dog volunteers to follow up injured deer. Access could be through the website showing UK wide deer dog coverage by region including callout details/volunteer availability etc. Whilst currently such arrangements often exist at local DMG level, the UK has nothing as joined up as the Danish National Register. What do those who own deer dogs think :confused:

I would be up for that, I enjoy tracking deer with my dog more than shooting them.

Best rgds

Tahr

There is well defined case for an organised approach to finding wounded deer.
This could include training, sharing best practice, certification registration etc as you suggest.

John Jeanneney of New York state USA did much the same thing and formed www.deersearch.org which became officially recognised by their Fish and Game Department, with all agencies using them for call out.

Looking at the number of posts from those with Deer Dogs the talent is out there, its getting that talent recognised by those that need it that would be the challlenge. First level would be those who have lost a shot Deer, onward though you would have to think about BDS, DEFRA and Emergency services recognition. I would imagine the Police and Fire Services probably deal with more wounded deer in RTA's that most stalkers do in a lifetime.

Here in Sweden most hunting dog breed clubs have there own tracking advice, tests ect. When you hunt anything here you must have a dog or access to a dog trained in tracking the game you are hunting. Its law. The tracking training follows basically the same format no matter what breed you use. Tracking (eftersök) is encouraged by the main hunting organisations and many courses are run from simple 1 day course for beginners to 6 day wild boar courses. There is a net work set up for the police to call out a eftersök team. You get paid if you are tracking Moose ,bear, Red but not for roe or fallow,boar. This is under review and hopefully payment for all RTA tracking.
Before involving the BDS, BASC, DEFFRA try Stones dog day. Mark H who will be there is a very Knowledgable person about dogs for deer. And its free and a good day out.
From my years in England and helping with the last dogs for deer day it strikes me that there are very few people with a properly trained tracking dogs In England.
Stones dog for deer day is a step in the right direction.

I would be will to offer my dogs services and my time like THAR i love working my dog and watching dogs work.
His terms of agreement are if still fit to eat he wants the liver heart and kidneys.

P1010068.jpg

great suggestion

this is a great idea.

I have been involved in writing policies and training packages for rta response, i would be delighted to help out in this.

The problem is coverage. You soon get fed up of turning out and driving 50miles three times a month!

The way to start is with an area that you know you have coverage and put strictly defined boundaries on your attendance. You will need to show competence and professionalism probably by only allowing people who have undertaken some training to do the job. Then get the word out there.

This service might end up as voluntary payment would be hard to source and quantify. ie 30 p per mile mileage. plus £20 per hour rate..... one massive bill which would prevent you being used. Mileage is not offered for the police to humane dispatch so it would be very tough to get it out of stalkers.

I would be delighted to help get this off the ground. We would need a designated coordinator. I can't do that. I have too much already on my plate.

swampy

Top idea! Would definitely be up for it, availability of self and suitability of trained dog permitting. Hoping to get to the 2nd Deer Dog Day and use that as launching pad for my lab and/or cocker on deer.

Before anyone says it, yes, I do realise you could interpret "launching pad" in any number of ways ;)

willie_gunn

308rws said:
Admin

The SD site is well supported with some 1200 members/users. Is there sufficient interest to trial a UK Deer Dog Group, similar to those in Scandanavia? SD members would have access to trained deer dog volunteers to follow up injured deer. Access could be through the website showing UK wide deer dog coverage by region including callout details/volunteer availability etc. Whilst currently such arrangements often exist at local DMG level, the UK has nothing as joined up as the Danish National Register. What do those who own deer dogs think :confused:
at the moment i hav been trying to sort out such an event, seems to me that no one wants to know unless there is a profit to be made
and how would you run it, or even judge it, that the results would even be reconised by an authorative body, pm to me may be a better and safer reply at this moment in time

i DONT WANT MONEY FOR THE JOB . It is nice to get out with the dog and find a few deer with regards tests etc. I am not interested in the slightest most of the european techniques for my purpose are ****. All i need is a dog to walk at heal with no fuss and to wind scent a deer and if i happen to shoot it back a bit then he will go and find it. Stile and barking leather straps blood trailing harnesses you can keep them for the Germans :lol: :lol:

6.5x 55 I'me sure your dog suits your stalking style. But were talking about a different type of tracking. It takes a trained dog to find a deer with a leg shot off or one hit by a car. You may scoff at the European style training dogs for deer but they have been doing it for a long time and finding wounded game is a duty in Europe that is sadly lacking in the UK.
There are those on this site who are trying to encourage the training of dogs for deer without payment by organizing these training days.

We might get more reports of succsesfull tracking if we had more trained dogs instead of pictures of dogs sat by dead deer that the stalker could have found by himself.

6.5 x 55 said:
i DONT WANT MONEY FOR THE JOB . It is nice to get out with the dog and find a few deer

just want to clarify, from this statement you hav made, i gather you are willing to give up your time and fuel for free and help some one in need in your area to find a lost or wounded beast
if any one else is interested and SERIOUS about it please drop me a pm
kind regards
stone

TRACKING DOGS

jagare said
6.5x 55 I'm sure your dog suits your stalking style. But were talking about a different type of tracking. It takes a trained dog to find a deer with a leg shot off or one hit by a car. You may scoff at the European style training dogs for deer but they have been doing it for a long time and finding wounded game is a duty in Europe that is sadly lacking in the UK.
There are those on this site who are trying to encourage the training of dogs for deer without payment by organizing these training days.

We might get more reports of successful tracking if we had more trained dogs instead of pictures of dogs sat by dead deer that the stalker could have found by himself.

Hi Jagare
While your dogs and methods are very impresive to watch (as we did at Stones day) I think it is almost another sport in its self.

I personally like 6.5x55 want a dog to hunt with me, walk to heel, indicate unshot deer and find the ones that have made a short dash into deep cover or fell in standing corn. Yes i could probably found these myself but some times after a long search on a dark wet night when a dog would have found it in seconds.
This is the type of dog I use nearley every outing not just when some one cocks up.
My new dog is just starting to get the hang of it last week he indicated a group of Fallow which we had stalked past and would not even seen, resulting in a pricket in the larder.
So I think he deserved to have his photo taken with that one ;)

Wayne

We had a meeting in our area to try and set up a network for rta's in our area, most thought it was an excellent idea and were willing to do it for nothing.

We then attend an exellent talk by John Thornley (author of "Deer: law and liabilities)
and at the end of it I don't think anyone signed up, it was quite scary what sort of mess you could get yourself into, even when things are done correctly.

I personally have no problem with helping fellow stalkers out (after kicking them in the arse for being a crap shot ;) :lol: ) but I will be shying away from the Rta's :(

Wayne

6.5 x 55 said:
i DONT WANT MONEY FOR THE JOB .

Dave,
maybe i worded what i said badly. I also would not expect payment and would do this voluntarily. I do deer destruction voluntarily.

but all parties would need to be aware of this at the beginning.

parameters would need to be defined as in if this is for finding stalked and wounded animals but not rta victims.

Stone,
you have a PM

steve

Jagare while training a dog to walk a line is all well and good but to me it isn't worth **** don't take offence , Now i have trained many dogs to work deer with me and do it well. I work forestry ground and have trailed deer with my posing dog long distances he has also been called out the next morning after a friend unfortunately clipped a roe last light. You see i don't want a dog that Barks i would shoot it. I don't want a dog that only knows its after deer when a harness is placed on it that would tell me the dog was not under control. I don't want a dog that need to have a collar on at all there is a chance he would catch it on a fence or old brash stump. My dog must be able to work under his own steam but always in my control.
Now i would say i want more from a dog than most because while i am out stalking i don't even want to know hes there.

But stone your right i don't want any money i offer my dog free of charge and i am confident in his ability to do so.

ps when my dog finds a deer he just sits down no fuss no ragging of deer just steadiness :p :p

I've got my admin hat on for this one.

Now that the suggestion has been made about some sort of dog availabilty for the following up of wounded deer, it would be silly to ignore it. It would do no harm to see just how many people are willing to get involved, would they do it for free, just expenses or what.

Wayne has highlighted that there are difficulties involved when dealing with RTA injured deer, but with another stalker and a wounded beast it appears to be different. This of course would need investigating, we do not want anybody being at risk from doing a good turn.

I suppose it could be linked to a list of people willing to attend to despatch wounded deer, who knows.

So for a start, who would be willing to be called out with their dog, we know that 6.5X55 and Thar are willing and I expect that I have omitted one or two more so please forgive me for that. So come along, names and location please.

John

Am in the process of trying to get my spaniel to track a blood trail.
Old dog new tricks?? so to speak.
So if he takes to it, he is good on all other game, so who knows.
I would be willing to take part in some sort of member list to help out other stalkers to follow up deer, but please be aware I have two young children which will obviuosly take priority.
I'm in Herefordshire.

Jonathon

i have a 6 month old BMH pup whos training is going well so far and i would be willing to try to find a lost deer for a fellow stalker. i am in the Yorkshire area.

Regards
Adrian

6.5x55

I have a vizsla that air scents when necessary when searching for deer in dense cover, all well and good if the scent conditions allow. I also have a trained bloodhound who I work on a tracking line for when the going gets difficult.

Is it normal that you dog shows so little interest in the fox that it does not go up to it or even look at it before it sits down or have you specially trained it to turn its back on dead game as a sign of respect. :evil:

Mark

Back