POI changes with different ammunition

Conor1

Yesterday, I had a selfish day on the range (it was my birthday!)

Normally I shoot with Privi ammunition for no other reason other than it shoots very well in my rifles in calibres 6.5x57, .308 Win. .300 Win Mag and 9.3x62. The .308 168 grain HPBT is fantastically accurate and the 150 grain .300 WIn Mag is also pretty good, giving me sub inch groups.

I decided to try to some Blaser CDP ( I bought 100 .308 165 grain and 100 .300 WM 165 grain years ago when I bought my Blaser but wasn`t impressed with the accuracy. First up was the .308 165 grain. I checked the target after the first shot was astonished to see it in the bull. 4 more shots in the bull and I was very happy indeed and ended with a decent group of .75 of an inch.

The .300 Win Mag produced the same results, that is, the 168 grain Blaser CDP had the same POI as the 150 grain Privi. In both cases I did not have have to adjust the scope for either windage or elevation. I shot a box of each Blaser caliber, shooting groups of 5 with the .308 and groups of 3 with the .300 Win Mag and the results were pretty good.

But as the Blaser costs 5 times the price of Privi (circa 70 pounds a box) I am reluctant to do too much expirementing with it! Can I assume therefore that the Blaser CDP will have similar ballistics to the Privi? Many thanks.

Last edited:
All factory ammo varies, expect anything from 1-4" (25-100mm)diffrence with manufacturers & batch No.s , but grouping should remain sub 2"(50mm)@ 100metre. Rifle to rilfe varies also. Unless you re-load to suit your rifle anything can happen. Good luck

Some ammo is just shocking! Same gun on the range after a level 1 course this year when sorting out a rifle did this. Federal vital shock provides a sub inch grouping. Winchester Max Power Kill Beasts (don't know their name) was random in about a 5 inch group. It was the worst quality ammo that has ever disgraced a rifle.

A common problem is that often a shooter thinks it's him or the rifle and the ammo could not be the issue because it's 'factory'

I have reloading equipment; I just don`t have the nerve to try it on my own as the wife would never forgive me if I blew myself up!

I dont have moderators at the moment (hopefully soon) but it makes me wonder as to what could be achieved................

I have reloading equipment; I just don`t have the nerve to try it on my own as the wife would never forgive me if I blew myself up!

I dont have moderators at the moment (hopefully soon) but it makes me wonder as to what could be achieved................

Its not rocket science , just follow a recepie & use common sence, I stick to a middle formula. Check the heads are firmly in palce , lengths are good, & hey presto.......its not as anal as you read for great results.

See here > http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Drop a donation in, if its useful......;)

Its not rocket science , just follow a recepie & use common sence, I stick to a middle formula. Check the heads are firmly in palce , lengths are good, & hey presto.......its not as anal as you read for great results.

See here > http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Drop a donation in, if its useful......;)

I`m sure you are quite right but I would still like to get some instruction!

Perhaps I will try it over Winter............

I`m sure you are quite right but I would still like to get some instruction!

Perhaps I will try it over Winter............

It's called a reloading manual. When I was thirteen, my Uncle tossed me a on Ideal manual (pre-Lyman) and told me to "read up on it". I did fine. If you get Lee's book, it will take you step by step through the mechanical process as well as explaining how to choose the correct powder for a given bullet weight and what to expect.~Muir

Some ammo is just shocking! Same gun on the range after a level 1 course this year when sorting out a rifle did this. Federal vital shock provides a sub inch grouping. Winchester Max Power Kill Beasts (don't know their name) was random in about a 5 inch group. It was the worst quality ammo that has ever disgraced a rifle.

A common problem is that often a shooter thinks it's him or the rifle and the ammo could not be the issue because it's 'factory'
Yet reverse the statement,..... that same crappy ammo in that rifle might return sub m.o.a. in another?

Back