Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (Which) one calibre to shoot them all????

(Which) one calibre to shoot them all????

please forgive the parody of the Lord of the Rings quote!
    I wonder if the collective wisdom on this site could suggest a calibre suitable for shooting quarry from roe to wild boar?
    Perhaps .308 or 30-06?
    Mrs Labrador has forbidden me more than one rifle when I retire (& I have to sell my .410)!

get one with two barrels then

20x70RB Clean kills on everything that walks, crawls, flies or swims .

In answer to your question the 30-06 would suit you fine.
    The range of bullets available for this calibre would cover all UK game including Wild Boar.
    It would also cover most, if not all, African Plains Game too, using the correct bullet.

Can't say first hand about the UK, but the 30-06 loaded with bullets from 90 grains to 220 grains will kill, and has killed, anything in North America.~Muir

Account Suspended
    Bonnie Scotland
    I've seen .308 do all that you've listed and I've seen .30-06 do it too.

If it's any answer, I have a .30-06 bolt action repeater and if push came to shove and I was left with it as my only rifle, I'd not be too unhappy about that.

I'm sure others will tell you, it's often not the differences between similar cartridges that's critical so much as finding a rifle you feel happy with.

Some countries won't let you hunt with either .308 or .30-06 so the best answer to your question has to satisfy the requirements of all your likely destinations as well as quarry, but a .30" (ish) calibre of some sort, with a decent case size, is a pretty useful general purpose tool.

How about 8x57 or 7x64?

I think that if you are retiring and want to carry on shooting into old age, of the 2 I'd go with the .308

The 30.06 may come of the French non, non list so may be a bit better bet than the 308 which I concede will do pretty well as much as a 30.06

tell mrs labrador that if your only allowed one gun, shes only allowed one pair of shoes.. she wouldnt like to go to a ball in wellies like you wouldnt want to shoot roe with something capable of decking a boar!

Has to be one of them drilly thingies!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!