.223 Munti Bullet

Peter Eaton

Can anyone recommend me a bullet for Munti please that is as near as possible to 50 grains. The reason I ask is my present loads are all 50 grain bullets but if I am not mistaken all bullets of that weight are Varmit bullets and so frangible. What I want is something that will retain weight and not blow the meat to pieces. Also something that will be nore or less the same zero so I dont have to alter the scope.

Dont know about munti but I have found federal powershock 55gr work really well on roe, good penetration and controlled expansion, now reloading for the .223 and have been using 55gr ballistic tips but only for fox.( to explosive for deer looking at the results so far!!
sinbad

Cheers for that gents and forgot all about Gamekings... reckon they will be the ticket. I take it SBT means spritzer Boat tail and HPBT is hollow point boat tail? ..just wondering which would be the better for Munti??

Last edited:
For deer and 224" calibre I would be looking at controlled expansion bullets. In no particular order Nosler Partition 60grs, Federal Fusion 55 grs, Norma Oryx 55 grs, Rhino 50 grs and Barnes TSX 53 grs(might need a fast twist to stabilise as might the NP). I went down that road a few years ago and tried the NP 60grs and the Sierra 63 grs SMP. Both stabilized and grouped sub inch in my 14" triple deuce. I didn't shoot any deer with either these bullets or a 22 centrefire. The Sierra 65 grs SBT driven at sensible speeds should also do the trick.
Regards Toby

For deer and 224" calibre I would be looking at controlled expansion bullets. In no particular order Nosler Partition 60grs, Federal Fusion 55 grs, Norma Oryx 55 grs, Rhino 50 grs and Barnes TSX 53 grs(might need a fast twist to stabilise as might the NP). I went down that road a few years ago and tried the NP 60grs and the Sierra 63 grs SMP. Both stabilized and grouped sub inch in my 14" triple deuce. I didn't shoot any deer with either these bullets or a 22 centrefire. The Sierra 65 grs SBT driven at sensible speeds should also do the trick.
Regards Toby
Nosler Partition 60grs,

My rifle is 1-12 twist and my present load is 26.5 grain benchmark for the 50 grain heads. I take it the partition 60 grain would be good in my rifle with that twist and would you think the point of impact would be around the same out to 100....??

Barnes 45 or 50 grain TSX would be my choice, probably the 45 grainer to be honest as this would most likely stabilise better. I have used the 52 grain xlc in a 22/250 and there was great penetration and minimal meat damage

Have used the sierra 55gr gamekings on roe to good effect.
tried barnes and had clean pass throughs.
shot x2 munties with 50gr HP barnes VLC's from york guns. they were very good.
What makes you sure a 50gr of different nature will shoot to zero????
play with the load and a 55gr is just as likely to shoot to same zero.
Bullet weight has nothing to do with retaining a zero.

Hi Yorks

Thanks for your reply. I wouldnt say the same wieght bullet would shoot to the same zero as such, except for my own very limited experience with my 6.5 x 55. I load with 120 grains and all the bullets I have used all shoot to the same zero, even 125 grain bullets shoot to virtually the same zero, give or take an inch or more at 200 yards. As regards to the .224 bullets I have loaded 40 grain in the past ( but lost the data ) , only data I have is the 50 grain bullets I have loaded which have all have been the same zero at 100 ...and thats round on round as such at the target, hence why I ask if the 55 grain would be different. If they are not different then thats a bonus for sure. But I understand what your saying.

Back