shooting vehicles

webby954

well we just got our first 4x4 its a grand vitara and this will be the misses every day car and my shoot vehicle what does everybody else use and do yu have any special things you have done to it to make it a better shoot vehicle or tips too make them better :lol:

Attachments

• 163.jpg
    163.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 115
if it's the mrs everyday car
a. be quick to put your mark on it!!! otherwise you'll end up pulling into an estate or a shooting day with purple flowery stuff, pillows on the seats, car smells all nice, and there's some girly song in the background..just can't happen!!! LOL
b. you probably won't be allowed to make it 'cool' as shooting car,,big off-road tires, carcass trays, lamp on the roof, seat covers, etc...
c. You'll probably be given grief when you return with mud all over it and around the interior carpeting, so... what to do

solution:
a. tires,,get as big tread as you can get away with from a domestic permit perspective! sell it as "honey, I don't want you getting stuck in the snow!"
b. Seat covers - get some!
c. carpet/floor plastic matts - get some!
d. Carcass tray - good idea
e. removable window sill gun-rest and lamp (if you need)
f. this is the important bit!! psychologically believe that this is YOUR car, it is manly, macho, and it's a frontier challenging 4x4 that does not have a nail file and spare tampax in the glove compartment..nor do you worry about stopping at the petrol station to vacuum and wash it before returning home, after having changed in the public loo's...

nice car though mate,,will be good from a fuel consumption perspective, and light enough to travel over mud rather than sink in.

Something wrong with the car in that picture: it's too clean!

Go forth and cover it in mud and keep it muddy, remind the onlookers that it's an off road vehicle, not a poncey pick-up-your-kids Chelsea tractor :D

it is muddy now lol but its still clean inside ihave been warned by better half it best stay that way lol

Wait till the first time she picks up a tick or a ked:D:lol:;) My wife didnt stop going on about it for a month. And that was at least a week after I had carried the last deer in a carcass tray in the back.
It worked in my favour thoughas that stopped her driving it about regularly, and in the end she got a family run about and left me with the Vitara full time:D

I changed my Discovery3 for a VW Golf (everyday car) PLUS a LWB Nissan Terrano (dedicated shooty bus!) - no need to worry about stray feathers, mud, empty cases, dog hair, etc, etc that annoyed my other and significantly better half.

Terrano has:
- some foam pipe insulation taped to the tops of the wing mirrors (rifle rest)
- General Grabber AT2's on each corner
- Sunroof for lamping
- big mats to catch the worst of the mud off your boots
- a dog cage in the back
- .....not been washed since I got it!!:D:D

You should find an aux power lead in the rear light cluster, for the towbar electrics, you could splice off this (via a fuse) and whack an led work lamp on the back of her ( led because they draw much less current and give you a whiter light), it makes loading up in the dark so much easier, its also great for gralloching etc in the dark, and is useful when towing people out of ditches/snow so you can see when hitching them up.

Also when splicing the light in add a 12v socket in the rear somewhere, great for charging lamps/fridges etc

Also very useful for reversing in the forest tracks etc as the reversing lights on Suzi's aren't the best.

Dont go too mad on the tyres, a decent set of AT's should be fine, but if you go for mad ass mud tyres, you'll regret it as you'll loose on-road handling and mpg's, and the noise will drive you even more insane.

Isuzu Trooper 3.1 td 3" exhaust removed egr, runs so much better and cleaner and does 36 mpg, 2" lift, Cooper Discover ST tyres, new shift on fly valve drop into 4x4 at speed upto 60mph 1-1 reducer in the trany box goes every where and any where,

paul

Keds, ticks, blood, mud on the seats and dog snot up the windows. Yep, my wife would just love that :lol:

Simon

My mate (cammo kev) had a vitara V6 ,it just went almost anywhere(and forever) with good tires and enough fuel,i got myself a ranger (real good to).three dogs many foxes several deer and a forgotten liver later she refused to get in it RESULT!!!.Down side it takes me 6 hours to clean it.Then she goes and buys a brand new Honda.When a ralegh would do

No matter what car we get it gets dogs hairs and nose marks on the glass. Two of the mutts are real can happy. Pick up a hat, coat or in summer just put shoes on and they are there bouncing about and wanting to go for a ride.

I try to keep the interior clean, very difficult and do wash it, no choice n that here once the wet weather starts or you cannot see the lights lets alone out of the windows and that's not even going off road just driving on the roads.

Ours was on the ramp have exhaust clearence set adjusted after a new middle and rear fitted, bracket was catching the mount :rolleyes: and drumming, and had to pull off/out some greenery which had gotten hooked up underneath. Due to the current hassles this one has not been used for shooting related duties as yet just the normal transport and towing trailers.

We looked at the Grand Vitara but the space in the load area seemed limited to me and not sure dads wheelchair or electric scooter would have fitted and allowed enough room for the His Nibbs (doggy) at least. It was a bit of a squeeze in the Cherokee but the Frontera has more room.

Good luck with your new shoot transport even if you do have to share it.

Good washable seat covers, biggest tyres that will clear the arches & dog guard do the trick for starters. A visit to ikea for a good carcass container, will finish it off.
good luck

Good washable seat covers, biggest tyres that will clear the arches & dog guard do the trick for starters. A visit to ikea for a good carcass container, will finish it off.
good luck

and some swedish meatballs for the trip home:D

Isuzu Trooper 3.1 td 3" exhaust removed egr, runs so much better and cleaner and does 36 mpg, 2" lift, Cooper Discover ST tyres, new shift on fly valve drop into 4x4 at speed upto 60mph 1-1 reducer in the trany box goes every where and any where,

paul

I like what you have done with that!:tiphat:

I have a wee jimny that has the back seats removed and has had the suspension raised to accomodate 15" vitara rims with 29" mud terrain tyres:)

I also have rock sliders fitted and a 1" steel plate fitted underneath to protect everything;)

I just need a lightforce lamp to fit to the roof and It will be perfect.

Back