help with wording for requiring a calibre on a variation

Scots_stalker

ive the variation form in front of me here to apply for a 308 and under the section that reads give details of each firearm and calibre i wish to purchase ive put

for the stalking of large red and sika stags,as i have found the 243 is fine for red and sika hinds but lacks the stopping power for large red and sika stags who run when shot

please lets not have the 243/308 debate again , id just like to know if ive worded the above correctly
brian

I shouldn't of thought you needed to go into quite so much detail to be honest,although if you are likely to come across any foxes while you are out with the rifle then it might pay to add them as well.If it was me I would ust put Large deer species/foxes and wild boar,if they ask about the boar then tel them that you will be buying some boar5 shooting in the near future unless you have them already on the land that is.

Martin

I'd just put 'deer and any other lawful quarry' on the form itself - keep it simple.

Any further information can be either relayed directly to the FLO or the FEO if they ask for it or put it in a covering letter if you want to expand on the reason at the time of applying.

I agree with Orion. If they want further clarification then expand. And your reasoning is good. I'd say I wanted a larger calibre rifle for the larger species, where a heavy hitting power and better accuracy at a good range would be advisable. I used that argument to get a .338 for stalking even though i'd already got a .308 and 7mm Rem mag - so it works.

If you want any further help feel free to pm me

Good luck and keep us informed how you go on

ATB

Andrew

I never volunteer information. Just answer the question asked in an accurate and concise manner.

Yorkie.

I never volunteer information. Just answer the question asked in an accurate and concise manner.

Yorkie.

correct.
need to know IMO
it is a simple process, the more you confuse them with unnecessary info the more chance you have of them (mis)interpreting it and doing something stupid!!

You guys obviously not delt with strathclydepolice. They want to know what colour socks you are wearing and what you had for breakfast

Yes, but you originally asked what to put on the application form. Irrespective of what they might later ask you for to demonstrate your 'good reason' for possessing the rifle the advice given is to keep it as simple as possible on the form - and that would be applicable to any police force FLD. Keep it simple and don't unwittingly restrict yourself - if they need further information then you can give it.

Good luck with it all.

Scots_stalker,

You are admitting to shooting deer "badly" as they run when you shoot them, and you know that they will continue to do.

That's what it will be like to your FEO. Do not ask on an open Forum.

Stan

Do not ask on an open forum ?????????? Explain. And here Is me thinking that I had to fill the form in honestly and tell them why I want a 308 when asked

Last edited:
Scots_stalker,Stan

You are admitting to shooting deer "badly" as they run when you shoot them, and you know that they will continue to do.

That's what it will be like to your FEO. Do not ask on an open Forum.

I don't see any admission to shooting badly. He stated they run when shot. Which they often do. Whether using a bigger calibre will stop that in some cases is a whole other debate.

If your FEO asks you to elaborate, which they almost always do, then you have the chance to explain the the higher ME of this calibre is perhaps more appropriate for the larger deer species.

For the future, all I ever put down is very simply , 'for the purposes of deer stalking'...... 'on land with lawful permission or elsewhere by invite'. It has never once been questioned.

i have had fallow run 75-100 yards after being shot and splitting the heart cleanly with a .270, if you are shooting them in woodland or woodland edge sometimes a bit more impact is needed to drop them on the spot.
deer will run without a heart especially if the adrenaline is up,

Scots_stalker,

Because the application is yours, personally. Not a compilation of what others think you need in order to justify.

PM's have a use.

Stan

Back