First casualty of the rut

Double four

Had to do a mercy job this morning the first casualty of the rut.
I have an "extra" large aggresive stag that has taken up residence in the wood, im sure it will have been him who has done the damage as this stag was imobolised only a field away .
He had horrific injuries two broken legs a bust elbow and a broken jaw !

Seen this stag scores of times, had him walk right under my seat the other day and filmed him numerous times too
Too late now looks like he wandered the wrong way and met his match with stagzilla,

I was goose shooting in a ditch last year and i saw this big stag lock antlers with another stag albeit alot smaller flip it on his back like a wet rag and proceed to give it a proper pasting ! then trotted back to his hareme at the side of the wood without breaking sweat !

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

Looks like he was hit by a train!

Lucky you was around, he could have lasted days like that.

Is it time to think about shooting the old bigger agressive stag ??? I would as you dont want genes like that passed through!

jesus, that is a proper kicking.

Don't agree that you want to be culling the more dominant, aggressive and bigger stag.
That is what stags are MEANT to be like.

think junior here just didnt realise quick enough that he had met his match.
He didnt learn to run away and live to fight another day. that is a trait you should remove from the gene pool.

Never seen anything like that, are you sure it was another stag?
I was after a nice old stag last rut, saw him a couple of times but never got a chance of a clear shot at him, plenty of other beasts around but mainly young stags and some medal class big boys. I had to go back home after a week, but my father in law shot the stag a week later. It had only one eye after a fight and was in pretty bad shape.

That looks bad and i am sure if he is in that state the other stag is also done for. If it were me i would be looking on the roads for bits of plastic off a large truck with damge on its front. In my opinion when you get to very large animals close to each other and you get a chance dont let them meet in the rut shoot the smaller or weaker one and give the big lad a reasonable clear run at the rut.

I don't know enough about stalking to be accurate with my comments, but my observation of this stag was if i saw him where you could extract i would take him he is well over 20 points with huge beam's and i guess over the years he would have had a big impact on the gene pool so maybe his time has come to let some new blood in.
There are some nice stags about now and a very large malform that is probably past his sell by date too.

Out of interest i recovered the bullet head from its neck, its a .30 150gn ballistic tip fired through a .308 it had severed the lowed part of the vertebrea but i thought that it would have been fragmented ?

DSC00291.jpg

DSC00292.jpg

DSC00290.jpg

Never seen anything like that, are you sure it was another stag?
I was after a nice old stag last rut, saw him a couple of times but never got a chance of a clear shot at him, plenty of other beasts around but mainly young stags and some medal class big boys. I had to go back home after a week, but my father in law shot the stag a week later. It had only one eye after a fight and was in pretty bad shape.

It was in a middle of a field with no truck or artic wheelings ! just a lots of eviedence of battle, and if you saw the size of the dominant stag you would take my word for it.

I rang a mate of mine the other night and he couldn't talk as he had been called out by the RSPCA to look for and dispatch an injured Red Stag.

Could this be the same one?
He was north of S****horpe and just south of the Humber.

Come on lads that is an RTC if ever i saw one. You must be having a laugh unless your stags have cross bred with tigers.

IMHO definitely not killed by another stag, two broken legs and a broken jaw are evidence of blunt force trauma. (RTC as mentioned). The ground would have been chewed up as the poor animal was trying stand/walk. If killed by another stag with that much aggression it would be filled with holes all over the body.

poor beast thank god you were about one thing it does show though is that although we go out too shoot them we actually dont like idea of them suffering. he is a good looking animal as well in good condition

webby

Dont know about but rta thats what i said straight away when i saw its legs, the person who contacted me to deal with it said she had seen them battling and it was in front of her house so she should know .
There are no major roads nearby and no wheelings visable so unless it was dropped by helicopter i wouldn't have thought it could have got far on three legs.

Suppose it could have been mown down by poachers but it must have dragged itself to where it was, like has been said will know more when its skinned. DF

forgot to say all the area was muddy and kicked up looked to me as there had been a ruck, like i said dont know to much about red deer so its all new to me.

Last edited:
Back