Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: steyr scout anyone got any views

steyr scout anyone got any views

Looking at purchasing 2 new rifles and am at present looking at a few different ones. like the idea of the light weight scout. Just throught I would but the question out there and see your views.

I have been running a Steyr Scout for about 5 years in 308. I have not found it lacking in any department. It is lightweight, tough, ergonomically sound, very friendly and accurate. I know most people that run them stick a conventional scope on instead of an intermediate eye relief one, don't bother with the ching sling and even fit a Harris bipod on!
    This, to my mind, ignores the finest aspects of this design, only when used in a field situation do these qualities become apparent. I can never see myself changing to a conventional design again, unless it was for a heavy calibre rifle.

Scout in .223

I have had a Scout in .223 for about a year. I shoot homeloads and it groups 3/8" @100 yards. I have a Svarovski 6-24 PV on it and I have taken foxes at over 300 yards. I love it.

I have a Ching sling but haven't really used it - most of my shots are taken in a prone position.

I would buy one again without hesitation.

I've been thinking of getting one of these in 308 too, swapping over from a sako 75 in 6.5x55; looking for a lighter outfit with a bit more power. I would need to use the a mod with it though, can you explain the nature of problems you had with the mod?

What kind of moderator were you using? Has anyone else had similar difficulties?

i has a few shots with one on a hampshire estate - it belonged to another guest. it was .308, had pes moderator and i think a 7 x 50 german scope, and a ching sling thing! i was using a prohunter .243 at the time which was more accurate than the scout if i remember, that may have been just the ammo, but he shot more deer that day . it was ok, but i kind of thought it was a bit special interest and like a "swiss army knife" - does everything, but not really the right tool for the job.

both myself an the scout owner now shoot blaser r93's, mine in .243 and .308, his in 6.5 x 55 with a very pretty stock and i think he may be getting a .375 for africa.

i suspect that since buying the r93, his scout hasnt seen the light of day!

there is a dedicated steyr scout website here

which has some good stuff!

the silly itegral bipod clicks too loud for my liking

Still pondering but what about...............

Hi and thanks for your comments.
    Looks like there is some varying views and some points to check out before making my mind up, Dare I even mention that I am also looking at the Howa range, very different concept to the scout but worth a look?

Had a look at a Steyr Scout at the local gun shop. This is just my opinion. I thought that it was the worse bit of plastic trash i have ever laid my eyes on. How has Steyr manlicher sunk so low in quality to turn out rubbish like that. But its what ever rings your bell.

Oooh informed opinion or Troll in the making?