Imperial

sakotrg

Just wondering how rare an Imperial Red stag is?
Managed to get one the other day and have been told that it's quite a rare trophy.
Thanks in advance.

more common on big forest stags.
I have seen one or two on the hill but definitely rarer sight on the hill

Not uncommon in populations with park deer influence i.e. anywhere except the Lakes and SW England south of the border although there are plenty of stags of this size in Devon and Cornwall. In Scotland I think you'd be more likely to find them in woodland areas like Galloway. In Norfolk and the New Forest a 14 pointer would not be at all unusual but there's Warnham blood in those.

Think I mentioned this before, I was following up Tony W*****, during the Monday afternoon stalk, on the Arran scheme, a good few seasons back, I had elected to let him lead, he had brought with him his brand new, straight out of the box, Sauer ... shot it in that morning, & with his sixth round ... he drops an Imperial just on last light. Did you get any photo's Sako?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice animal Sakotrg, heres a pic of a Cornish one

DSC00360.jpg

Sakotrg,

Only ever seen one 14 pointer - shot at Monachyle a few years back, not common on the hill so well done.

There were 14 stags in the field beside my house tonight as I drove in tonight most of them 2 atop. I stopped and watched them through the glasses for a while before I noticed two much bigger stags in some rushes behind some bushes, when they moved into view low and behold both were rights and 4. One had a wonderful head, almost black horns with light tips to his points. One of the best stags I've seen for a couple of years, roll on the rut.

See one in 20 years up here on the north coast. I suspect it was a wandering feeder I also would be very surprised if one of the local "goonies" doesn't have it on his wall.

Just curious, if 12-pointer is Royal, 14-pointer - Imperial, are there any more unique names for 16, 18, 20, 22, 24-pointers, etc?

Thanks,
Greg

I had a 14 pointer come out in front of me, some years back, on some ground in North Devon. He was accompanied by a rather scruffy looking pricket with uneven antlers. It was a misty, early morning stalk, on ground leased by a friend, about this time of year. The 14 pointer was a magnificent beast in prime condition, ready for the rut. He made his way across the meadow, with the mist swirling around his legs, groaning as he went, towards the group of hinds about 150yds. from my high seat. I watched for a while as the pair came into range and considered which beast should be taken. The rifle was set on the rest and cross hairs were lined up just behind the fore leg. Just as I was about to release the safety a car door slammed 1/4 of a mile away- dog walkers just after daybreak. The hinds scattered taking the 14pt and pricket back to the safety of the forestry. That was one lucky pricket!!
Pete.

Just curious, if 12-pointer is Royal, 14-pointer - Imperial, are there any more unique names for 16, 18, 20, 22, 24-pointers, etc?

I believe that at 16 points and above some refer to the stag as a 'Monarch'.

This link to a heraldry website suggests that anything over 10 points - a Great Hart - was unusual in days gone by, so maybe man's influence, (or lack of it!), is having a beneficial effect?

http://www.dictionaryofheraldry.com/Deer.htm

We have a couple of fourteen pointer on the open hill at any given time, the term imperial is open to interpetation though..... and not many 14 pointers are an imperial!

Back