22 K Hornet Re-loading

FlyBoy270

I will be getting my 22 Hornet back as a K Hornet from Richard Pope shortly and want to work up some loads.

Anybody out there suggest a consistent load with Vhit N120, H110 or something else ?
I plan to use 40gr Nosler BTs, what brass has proved best ?

Has anyone used the 35gr Nosler Lead Free BTs ?

Any advice appreciated.
ATB
FlyBoy270

Last edited:
I will be getting my 22 Hornet back as a K Hornet from Richard Pope shortly and want to work up some loads.

Anybody out there suggest a consistent load with Vhit N120, H110 or something else ?

Has anyone used the 35gr Nosler Lead Free BTs ?

Any advice appreciated.
ATB
FlyBoy270
Hello Flyboy, Can you explain the difference between the normal hornet and the k version for uneducated people like me,
Thanks

ATB
FlyBoy270

What rifle is it, I have tried 40 grain Noslers in my 527 hornet, they shoot very well and did all I hoped, but they are a single load option as they will not fit the magazine.
I did (briefly) consider shortening some cases just so I could seat them properly and still get them in the mag, but as yet have not bothered.
(may be a waste of time due to lack of room for a full charge as well)

Neil. :)

Go to Hodgdon's website. My top choice would be Lil Gun. Next, the more peaky H-110. I don't know about you folks, but I'm not buying "lead free" unless I'm forced into it like those poor ba$tards in California.~Muir

Last edited:
Hi Muir,
I am looking at getting 35gr Nosler BT Lead free, good BC and they travel faster, will report how they perform.
ATB
FlyBoy270

What rifle is it, I have tried 40 grain Noslers in my 527 hornet, they shoot very well and did all I hoped, but they are a single load option as they will not fit the magazine.
I did (briefly) consider shortening some cases just so I could seat them properly and still get them in the mag, but as yet have not bothered.
(may be a waste of time due to lack of room for a full charge as well)

Neil. :)

Hornet 6
Its an Anschutz 1730 now K Hornet, neck is shorter so they may fit the mag.
cheers FlyBoy270

hi fly boy how long has richard had the rifle you sent for rebarrel. he can be a little slow at times. but he knows his stuff and it will be worth it in the end

hi fly boy how long has richard had the rifle you sent for rebarrel. he can be a little slow at times. but he knows his stuff and it will be worth it in the end

Hi jay, just re-chambering, its went to proof last friday so I hope it will soon be ready, will let you know.
cheers Mike
FlyBoy270

I hope your rifle turns out to be everything you want it to be. The K is a great little round. A friend once built a micro light K-Hornet on a Martini action. He wanted the lightest rifle he could get so at his request, the gunsmith (another friend of mine) turned a pencil thin barrel and skeletonized the stock and scope mount, as well as made a cut in the right side of the receiver wall to facilitate loading. The rifle weighed about 4 pounds but never put more than two shots in one spot. Eventually the owner put the gun behind the seat of his pickup and bent the barrel when he adjusted the seat rearwards. I tried to buy the action but the gunsmith who built it beat me to it and built a 256 Winchester Magnum for himself. (Just what I would have done.:()

Back to your rifle, though... I wonder how they "proof" a K-Hornet? Do they have experienced reloaders there to fire-form Hornet brass and then load it hot? Or do they just fire standard Hornet ammo which would deliver abnormal pressures even with hot loads? What a racket.~Muir

I hope your rifle turns out to be everything you want it to be. The K is a great little round. A friend once built a micro light K-Hornet on a Martini action. He wanted the lightest rifle he could get so at his request, the gunsmith (another friend of mine) turned a pencil thin barrel and skeletonized the stock and scope mount, as well as made a cut in the right side of the receiver wall to facilitate loading. The rifle weighed about 4 pounds but never put more than two shots in one spot. Eventually the owner put the gun behind the seat of his pickup and bent the barrel when he adjusted the seat rearwards. I tried to buy the action but the gunsmith who built it beat me to it and built a 256 Winchester Magnum for himself. (Just what I would have done.:()

Back to your rifle, though... I wonder how they "proof" a K-Hornet? Do they have experienced reloaders there to fire-form Hornet brass and then load it hot? Or do they just fire standard Hornet ammo which would deliver abnormal pressures even with hot loads? What a racket.~Muir

I really don't know but I will ask the question, the Gunsmith was not going to have it proofed originally but I said I was happy to pay for it to be done, so that the Caliber would be added to the barrel and then no question as it being a K Hornet as in my certificate.
FlyBoy270

As you may know, there is no proofing houses here in the US that I am aware of. (SAAMI proofs ammo, though) Nor is proofing required or expected beyond the gunsmith firing several factory rounds through each rifle... just as the factory does with each rifle they build. How your proof houses feel that an overload of a rifle proves it safe, when the factory doesn't do it, is beyond me. Isn't the gunsmith allowed to simply stamp a "K" ahead of the word "Hornet" on the barrel after rechambering it?~Muir

On a trip to the Birmingham proof house I had a lengthy conversation with the proof master about wildcats and he informed me that with every wildcat that comes through his door he has a pressure test barrel made with the appropriate chamber and after fire forming the cases he hand loads a series of rounds and pressure tests them to SAAMI specifications if available if not to a required psi.
I was with a group of wildfowlers who looked at us as if we were talking a foreign language.

So... this would be the ammo that gets fired in the aforementioned K-H Anny? How the hell can anybody afford to pay for that?:eek:~Muir

Its because every gun that comes into the UK has to go through the proof house there are only 2 of them one in London and one in Birmingham.
They will even test loads for you I think the price quoted was about £60 for 25 rounds.
While I was there they were proofing about a 50 moderators and 50 semi auto shotguns.
They have a captive audience everthing has to go through them or it can't be sold.
Also while I was there they were testing a new cartridge for Holland and Holland it I remember right it was a 450/700.

K Hornet ready for despatch, but I am away to Scotland for the last week of the Stags so it will have to wait another week, will let you know how it shoots.
FlyBoy270

K Hornet ready for despatch, but I am away to Scotland for the last week of the Stags so it will have to wait another week, will let you know how it shoots.
FlyBoy270

Nice one it will shoot dont you worry. Never known a rifle on the net richard has done which dont shoot well

Back