First shoot date this season on my shoot.

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
Well I'm there again.
The eve of the first shoot.
I know everythings fine and dandy, but am always nervous as hell on the 1st one.
Like having your first job interview.
Should be used to it now but never gets any easier.
All the others I will be fine we will get to see if the hours of work have paid off I suppose.

good luck hope all goes well... got my first day picking up on saturday, and i'm taking TWO young dogs out with me:cuckoo: hopefully the other three will keep them in check!

regards, Jez.

good luck another week to go for me sure you will have a great day ,prey for a good breeze for you !:)

Calm down dear, it's just gentlemen with guns expecting you to present them with high birds that they can shoot easily, no problem :evil:

Don't worry mate all willbe well :D

John

The day went well without hitch.
Only did 1 reared duck drive and they flew really well.
Partridge went great to say there was no wind to speak off.
The guns shot well (ian) who was using my 20 bore...we might have another small bore convert.
80-100 head expected.
96 was the count and we were done at 2.40 and that was with an hour for dinner and alot of "little drinks".
I offered another drive but said anything over 100 was @ £25 per bird.
That seemed to knock their enthusiasm for another drive.
LOL
Great day with loads of pi55 taking which went on in the pub.

Good man, im sure you are off to a flying start. Been on ducks already but are leaving the partridge until pheasants are in as it is mixed. I have heard that they are on them near me though not sure on bags.

Seen some partridge flying extremely well for this time of year was out a couple of weeks ago with my dad and they were flying more like you'd expect in december than middle of september.

George

I have used a 20 now for 19 years and would never go back to a 12 for game and inland duck.
1oz of number 5's through 1/2 choke I can and have dealt with the highest pheasants.

Me too. over 6', 15 1/2st so its nothing to do with weight or recoil. I have used nothing but 20b for same amount of time.

John, I know we all tend to get to like a particular cartridge and stick with it, but if you want to try something different in no.6 shot size, get a couple of boxes of RC Sipe, 28g fibre wad. I have used them on clays, ducks, pheasant and partridge. They are without doubt the best shell I have ever come across for my wee Beretta. I leave the imp cyl and 1/4 choke in them as well...

I have used a 20 now for 19 years and would never go back to a 12 for game and inland duck.
1oz of number 5's through 1/2 choke I can and have dealt with the highest pheasants.

Ah another 20 bore addict. I went on to using a 20 about 23 years ago when I was an underkeeper and wanted a lighter gun to carry when walking the trap and snare line.
Since then ive never looked back and always bring out the 20 for game shooting, I tend to use 1oz of no.5's also but often shoot a bit lighter too. The 12 only tends to come out for the geese now.

Well done on your first day John, I know what you mean about first day nerves, I dont start for another 4 weeks yet and im already getting the jitters.

Top day mate, the beaters were a credit and Reece did a sterling job as captain. The birds flew very well for their first day, would recommend a day with John to anyone interested in their game shooting.

Haha I certainly tried my best mate, I think me and Ian had more than our fair share, just how the cookie crumbles hey! Although my average should have been better I still thoroughly enjoyed it. And thanks for introducing me to Wayne, seems like a good bloke to know / be in with!

Back