Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A wee warning.

A wee warning.

Just got my Browning o/u out of the cabinet to check and clean it for the first time since last season and the ejectors operated taking the tips off the clear plastic snap caps. i spent an hour with a small screwdriver breaking them out. It has been caused by the Youngs "303" oil i swabbed the bores with last year before storing the gun... worth a check for sure. If i had arrived at our first outside day it would have been embarrasing to say the least. Brass or alloy from now on and i reckon that is why all the top gunmakers issue nickel or gold plated?

I used plastic snap caps in my shotguns and they went the same way. The lip around the base of the cap sheared off leaving the caps in place. I went onto brass ones and haven't had a problem since.

Get more use from them !!

The fumes from the Youngs 303 cleaner melted the caps and they became welded on to the chambers... never again.

Another option might be not to leave them in the gun at all!

When I was young and used to be fretful about uneased springs I used to let the locks go onto snap-caps, take the forend off, barrels off, snap-caps out, forend on again and store the gun in two bits (in a locked drawer under my wardrobe - happy days!)

I don't see why you couldn't do that and then reassemble the gun uncocked for store without the snapcaps in - unless there's something funny about Brownings that prevents it - mine are just ordinary s/s boxlocks.

Plastic snap caps were fine in my O/U but my semi just ripped the lips off them. Metal snap caps inserted now.

I tend to use aluminium ones, don't trust the colour of the brass ones. It is a bit close to cartridge colour for my taste. Probably just of a nervous disposition!!!

common problem with a lot of youngs products the oils and fumes make plastic go to mush Hopes make some good oils and they do not affect plastic.

I only use brass snap caps. Not that expensive on ebay.

Why bother with snap caps at all?. Just hold a coin on the breech face in front of the striker to absorb the impact, job done. Apart from anything else, snap caps left in don't allow air to circulate,bad idea.