Thread: 2nd Calibre

2nd Calibre

Hi guys.

I currently have a .308 and I am toying with the idea of getting a 2nd rifle.

I shoot Munties, Roe and Fallow.

I think I would prefer something smaller as the 308 can create a mess sometimes on the smaller creatures

Give me ideas

It would have to be the olde .243 its up for any job.

I've Shot a tikka 6.5x55 good rifle knock down the beasts no problem. Only thing is with balistic tips makes a bit of a mess of the shoulder..... best to take a few seconds on bullet placement before you pull the trigger!!!!! i find it a very soft shooting comfortable rifle suits me down to the ground.

6-6x47; or

all three would complement a .30 nicely

Another backing for the 6.5. It's lovely to shoot and I prefer it over the .243 as a low end Deer calibre. I never had any major meat damage with mine. Fire the heavier bullets and it'll go right through nice and cleanly.

You'll probably end up leaving the .308 at home....

If the 308 creates a mess, you might want to change your bullets. However, a second rifle zeroed and ready to go is a useful part of one stalking kits. 6mm or 6.5 is nice, 243 plenty about second hand, 6mm 6.5 x 47 fun if you reload.

have 308 changed the 243 in for a 6.5x55 only just got it so cant really comment but looking good at the paper and some park deer O and a feral cat !

the trouble with you getting a second caliber is it isnt going to do anything the .308 dosnt already do, but if you really wanted to get a second caliber i would personally go with a .243 for use on the roe and munties or maybe even somthing like a .223 just for use on the munties. but what i will also say is that i bet your not really getting the itch for a new caliber but really the itch for a new rifle? so have you thought about maybe spending the money you would have spent on a new rifle on upgrading your original .308?, i dont know what rifle you have but i bet its worth a couple of hundered as a trade in on another rifle

I have 308 and wouldnt see past it as its top all round calibre but always used 22/250 for foxes but i wanted an alternative 2nd calibre that was red legal as well in case 308 was out of action for any reason but also pretty flat shooting so i got a 25/06 which fits the bill but i havent got on great with it so far as ive missed more foxes with it in the past few weeks than i have in the past 3 years,and im wishing i hadnt got rid of 22/250 but i,ll start reloading and see if i can get a consistent round going as seem to be too many fliers with factory ammo if that fails i,ll be getting 243 which always seem to shoot well