Any reports from the BASC Arran stag stalking this year

I'd heard the first week was fully booked. No-one from this forum? I'd be interested to know what it was like too...

2 mates of mine there this week and I have a picture of a cracking 11 pointer taken by one of them yesterday. Apparently low cloud not helping much and rut not really underway

2 mates of mine there this week and I have a picture of a cracking 11 pointer taken by one of them yesterday. Apparently low cloud not helping much and rut not really underway

Hope it was FFM, although he best have grassed it near a road, his ability to try and get fit for the week, failed miserably....

TJ

Thanks gents. I thought it was a case of 'What goes on in Arran, Stays on Arran!':lol:

I'm off up there next week so hopefully the rut will get going soon.

TJ - unfortunately FFM is still awaiting a good buck. 375mag however is expanding his portfolio!!

Sorry guys dont know what beat etc as all I got was a pic. Cracking thick dark antlered beasty though

Rut underway but weather not to good however i managed to get an 11-12 pointer and FFM got a 10 pointer !

Last edited:
Rut underway but weather not to good however i managed to get an 11-12 pointer and FFM got a 10 pointer !

that thing has a viscous looking head! those top tines look lethal!

tell me, i went for the hinds one year and short of the guy who sat in a seat for 7 hours there were no deer seen.
Did you get these stags stalking and walking or seated for a while?

We had the run of three beats one of which was a "spare beat" that we went onto on the final day, should have started there as it was where we saw the most activity!

Hi bewsher500

We did both stalking and waiting the key is been able to call them out of the trees this time of year the big stags were holding hinds in the thickest areas of forestry so you cant stalk them you need to call them out but be ready when they do come out be prepared !

sounds great.
not much luck calling hinds in November though!
there are definitely lots of deer there, it was tricky getting into them though

No you would'nt thats different again never seen large groups of hinds on Arran mainly groups 4-5 but then again when i go for stags the hinds are all rounded up by the stags in the forestry , never gone up in the winter months to try for them !

Back