DMQ Level 1

Rols

Hi

I passed my DMQ level 1 with David Stretton way back in 2001.

Am I correct to assume that it would just be a question of reregistering to start my level 2 or has anything changed that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

Rich

Rich

Yes - just register in the 'normal' way.

In strict terms several of the original DSC1 questions and answers have changed since 2001, but off top of my head I dont recall any that would present a material hurdle to completing L2 process. I'll check and if wrong come back - assuming not pounced on in interim!:D

or download the application form from the bds, get yourself two passport sized mugshots and a cheque for a hundred and ten snots and bingo! got mine in the post this week!
regards, Jez.

Rich

http://www.dmq.org.uk/faq.htm

One question, did you upgrade your DSC I?

DSC1 includes an assessment for Trained Hunter for Large Game only. On completion of DSC1 you are issed with a certificate that is recognised by Game Dealers.

Any DSC1 holder registered before 1 May 2006 who has not converted to Trained Hunter, may do so by sitting a Game Meat Hygiene assessment (by arrangement with any Assessment Centre) and paying the appropriate fee to the Assessment Centre. This fee will include the re-assessment cost plus a payment of £15 to DMQ for the re-issue of the certificate.

Regards JCS

I've read through the DMQ bumf.

Unless I've missed something, neither Trained Hunter status nor a Game Meat Hygiene Assessment is a pre-requisite for DSC2 Registration.

There were thousands of WSCC and DSC's awarded before 2001. All this uprating business is a bit vague, but looks like another nice little earner for DMQ and partners.

Sinistral

I agree the FAQs are not clear on this point, but my understanding is that an up to date DSC I is a pre-requisite for registering for a DSC II. DMQ will check when the candidate quotes their DSC I number and know straight away it's not been updated.

Regards JCS

Regardless of needing trained hunter for DSC2, get it asap. Many will debate the merits of these qualifications, but if you are going to do them keep them current and add trained hunter.

An outdated qualification= no qualification, updating it will probably be a good investment.

The old L1 without trained hunter would invalididate a L2 stalk. Part of the test is checking your meat handling abilities and disease recognition. Glands recognision and certification. The number you have for your portfolio is also your trained hunter registration number. Without that you cannot sell into the food chain. I cannot say for certain but I would expect the L1 numbers are markedly different before and after the changeover date. The AW would be checking your compitence on part of the L1 you do not have. It is not rocket sceince. Private providers may be a better option than full courses from the large players. Jim

you only require a trained hunter number if you are selling game outside a 30 mile radius ie not local or if you are selling more than 300 carcasses a year

NF we are not talking legalities of selling deer. We are referrig to a DMQ certificate. L2 qualification incorporates all of L! If meat part of L1 is missing it invalidates L2 irrespective of his ability to sell venison. Jim

NF we are not talking legalities of selling deer. We are referrig to a DMQ certificate. L2 qualification incorporates all of L! If meat part of L1 is missing it invalidates L2 irrespective of his ability to sell venison. Jim

Point taken. I'll be get the meat hygiene part completed before re re registering for level 2.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice

Rich

I'm an AW and have not been informed by DMQ that there is any requirement to hold a trained hunter number for l2 witnessing probably as most candidates will never handle that many carcasses. Trained hunter numbers were brought in by DEFRA to accomplish a level of traceability in line with the rest of Europe not by DMQ. I completed L1 when it was still DSC 15+ years ago the training is basicly the same then as it is now just that L2 paper work has more than doubled. Certainly after completing L1 we should all be able to recognise anomalies in deer that would at least make us unsure and seek guidance from more experienced people or your local VI center. DMQ1 teaches you the theory DMQ2 is there to see you put it into good practise. A trained hunter number is something you could add to your portfolio but is not a requirement.

Last edited:
I agree with you NF but would DMQ issue a L2 certificate if the MH had not been completed. If presenting an L2 to the FC they would automatically assume L1 had allthe bells and whistles. I would expect the VI would pick up on it and hold back the cert. Jim

L1 covers all the training required to obtain trained hunter status all that happens when you send off your £15 is they send you another certificate your trained hunter number is your candidate number. This applies to those that passed prior to trained hunter numbers being issued saving you from having to attend another day in the classroom. As I said before it is not a requirement for a recreational stalker and has nothing to do with DMQ.

If you haven't done and passed the large game paper to upgrade the older L1 without LGMH I don't see how you qualify to meet the requirements for L2. We do get the odd chap coming to get the LGMH paper done to upgrade their L1

L1 covers all the training required to obtain trained hunter status all that happens when you send off your £15 is they send you another certificate your trained hunter number is your candidate number. This applies to those that passed prior to trained hunter numbers being issued saving you from having to attend another day in the classroom. As I said before it is not a requirement for a recreational stalker and has nothing to do with DMQ.

new forest - I post a note from Nick Lane BASC Training & Development Officer on this topic. Regards JCS

Back