Thread: frustrating sunday morning stalk

frustrating sunday morning stalk

i set out at about 5am this morning , parking at a layby i hopped the gate and made the lung busting climb to my woods its about a mile walk on a near 45 degree angle over a grouse shoot , the ground levels out at the top of the hill where my wood is,

i turned the last corner before the entrance to the wood and there not 20 yrds inside the boundary was a fine roebuck, my rifle wasnt even out its slip , but there was no way id take a shot from outside the fence as the gamekeeper on the grouse shoot is a bit prickly to say the least , so i tried to navigate the gate as quietly as i could but with one leap the buck was gone into deep cover

i stalked the half mile or so up the ride to the high seat without seeing anything,, , i climbed the high seat and turning round to sit down i spotted the arse of a red stag dissapearing down the ride opposite the seat , great

i sat for four hours without seeing anything else , it started to really piss down so i called it a day , just one of those days but it was great to be outside away from it all again as its been a while since ive been out because of work etc

You know what they say. A bad days shooting is better than a good day at work. Better luck next time

If it makes you feel any better i've been out friday evening, saturday morning and evening and this morning and all ive seen are does.
    And on top of that I have had cubs move from the neighbouring estate into a large field of maize which is now full of pheasants.

Been very quiet in yorkshire for weeks, but we did shoot 1 this morning

on a different day it might have been an easy roe and a gift of a red, it's always a good day when you see the beasts

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    on a different day it might have been an easy roe and a gift of a red, it's always a good day when you see the beasts
    its was just good to be out paul , clear the cobwebs