.22-250 trajectory

sir-lamp-alot

well i have to say ive had a absolute gut full of re-loading it just drives me bloody scatty and time is now a bit of a issue now im a dad so im thinking about swaping my .223 in for a .22-250 so as i dont have to carry on being a slave of the press (the .223 has a 1 in 9 twist and wont shoot the normal 55gr factory rounds) and i was wondering what is the trajectory like from the normal 55gr .22-250 factory loads, ive looked at some tables on the net but i never trust them totally and always think its better to hear it from those who actually use the kit
thanks
sir-lamp-alot

As above. Mine with 52gr A-max, inch high at 100 yards, bang on at two hundred, 1.5" low at 250 yards, about 4" low at 300 yards. By the way, these drops are actual observed by me shooting my rifle at these ranges, not a theoretical trajectory based on a computer model.

i agree 50 grain bullets is what i like to use in mine as well. factory rounds if the winchester silver tips shoot well in the 22/250 you get. then there worth using even though they are pretty dear.

i have chrono some out of a 26 inch barrel and they where averaging 3800 fps

thanks chaps for the replies but are the 50 and 52gr rounds not homeloads? and if they are factory rounds who makes them?

My 52gr a-max load is a homeload, case full of Benchmark basically, can't remember the load.

Hornady do a factory load with 50gr V-max which is excellent and printed pretty much identically to my 52gr homeload.

I've put Norma 50gn V Max through my Tikka T3 from day one. I zero 1" high at 100yds & it shoots around 1" low at 200, about 5" low at 300. Last time it was chronoed it was 3700fps.

ATB

Chris

I have a Tikka M590 and first started using Remington Accutip 50 grain bullets before I got into reloading, I set it at 1/2'' high @ 100 yds and it was bang on @ 200 yds (Grouping was 3/4'' @ 100 yds). I was more than happy with them but I am tight and wanted to play about with the reloads.

thanks chaps for the replies but are the 50 and 52gr rounds not homeloads? and if they are factory rounds who makes them?

no norma and hornady make 50 grain factory ammo. winchester also make 50 grain ammo using the nostler silver tips.

thanks chaps i must admit i really seem to be leaning towards the .22-250 now it really does seem to be the tool for me as im taking foxes at a max range of about 250yrds, thankfully not too many at that range either but at least i know i will be able to just lift the cross a bit higher on the back and not worrie about any hold over thanks again chaps

always used winchester ballistic silvertip in my remy vls as said just point and pull out to about 250 only time i dont is when they are really close well very close bit crap missing at 20 yrds shooting under lol :D

My 52gr a-max load is a homeload, case full of Benchmark basically, can't remember the load.

Hornady do a factory load with 50gr V-max which is excellent and printed pretty much identically to my 52gr homeload.

I've used the 50gr V-max, hitting a 5inch target from 50\300 yards with out aiming off

22.250 is great calibre. 50g Blitzkings shoot well in mine with 35g of benchmark behind them, very flay...Also been trhying out some 36g Barnes grenades and 40g VMAX and 40 Nosler BTS. The BG's werent as accurate as the VMAX but the Noslers grouped around 1cm at 100 yards. Also went over the Chrony at 4k ft/sec from a 20" barrel. Very very flat round just point and squirt.

Have you thought about a .204? I have a T3 stainless super varmint which is superb for foxes out to 300 yrds plus. .75 inch high at 100yrds zero at 200yrds -4 at 300yrds and -14 at 400yrds. This is a five shot group at 100yrds using 40gr Hornady V Max. Snatched the fifth one:doh:

DSC01402.jpg

ATB Tony

it strikes me that there is not much in it when it comes to trajectory of the faster more BC rounds

100yds = +1"
200yds = 0
250yds = -1 to -2"
300yds = -4" to -6"

would appear to be the range of an awful lot of calibres.
when you are talking about the difference of 1" to 2" at 300yds you are more likely to affect that yourself in the field than see the benefits between 204 and 22-250

get one that fits, you like and can afford, spend some time shooting it and get used to it.

Back