Skewbald red stag

Dama

IMG_0438.jpgIMG_0437.jpgIMG_0435.jpg

Has anybody seen anything like this in a red deer before?
We met him roaring away this weekend. Never been seen before. Apparently a flecked hind was shot in the area five years ago. I know there are reports of this in roe. Is it genetic, are they born this way (if so I would be surprised if it hadn't been spotted before), can it occur and throw a normal coat the next year? I have heard of a hand reared fox with a white coat that grew a normal coat the following year.

Dama

It's evolution.... they're getting cammo'd up to stay one step ahead of us. :D

You got one o' them there red deer x dalmation crosses......

(Unusual beast there - are you going to have it mounted? Make for an unusual trophy!)

Definitely one for a shoulder mount.

I am no expert but I am sure this would be considered very rare indeed??

Cheers

Ross

I encountered a mule deer buck like that about 15 years ago. They are known for appearing in this region of Montana and are considered a trophy. ~Muir

Wow! what a superb whole body or shoulder mount that one would make. I sincerely hope it was kept for mounting as that is as rare as rocking horse .... send it up to me for a good mount deal :D - real shame it was shot though....

He would have been a beggar to see in a broken snow-line. I bought some cammo like this last year.

Simon

partial albinism through lack of melanin producing cells in the white areas.
Good cull animal as it is a genetically transferred trait

Very rare I'd say, what a fantastic animal. I believe Lea McNally referred to a similar case but I can't see in which book.

I have never seen one and only heard of one case of skew/piebald, this one was over 20 years ago - a stag coming to winter feed on SE Loch Awe side in Argyll. The landowner was sure it was a beast that had appeared to the feed the preceding winter with a normal coat but he wasn't 100%. It was shot raiding a croft that winter.

+1 on, at least, a shoulder mount as he has a very respectable set of antlers as well.

Congratulations

Moose

Back