cheap stalking/shooting car

User00003

Gents (and ladies),

I had enough of my 8mpg 4.7L V8 petrol jeep,,it was just too sickeningly expensive in fuel and I felt like an idiot pumping so much of my income into it.

So instead I'll be getting a more normal road car, which only leaves me with a £2K budget for a stalking/shooting/fishing car. I need this to be a 4x4 style SUV due to the way I use it.

any recommendations ideas, or is it just not feasible? I believe there may be a Freelander or two kicking around at these prices?....

good to hear your thoughts, as long as they don't promote me getting a 6.5x55 or a Blaser:lol:

Have a look at the suzuki vitara real tough little 4x4,with a 2.0l turbo diesel engine I have a friend who bought one new 10 years ago drives it everywhere 190.000mls on the clock, and in that time its been totally reliable with just the usual maintanence very economical to boot he swears by it, I will give it serious consideration when it comes to changing my own current vehicle :thumb:

The Forester is an excellent car but is not at all good on fuel. I have a thirsty Mitsu Challenger 3 litre and have looked often at the Vitara range. They seem to be very good indeed but I wasn't overly impressed with their fuel figures. I could buy an awful lot of petrol for what it would cost to change and would miss the comfort and off road performance to say nothing of the space, of the Mitsu. However when the time does come it will almost certainly be one of the Suzuki range.

a friend of my father in law has a 4x4 renault scenic, think its called a rx4? and i have seen him put that car into some serious places without any trouble at all, ok its not your normal 4x4 but if all you want to do is a bit of carcase extration or lamping over stubles then i cant see there being any problems with it and its going to be a lot cheaper to run than the jeep

PKL have you considered getting a gas conversion on your motor? They can go wrong obviously but it's still only about 80p per litre, maybe less.

The wifes old man has one on his range rover which hasn't (touch wood) given him any grief, he also had one on his previous rangey. Makes borrowing it less painful :lol:. The tank sits where the spare wheel should be.

What MPG do you get from your Jimny's I'm getting 33mpg mostly urban driving, just driving to estate and parking at moment, driving around 50 to 55 mph and keeping below 3000 revs, seems low for a 1300, Suzuki told me I shoud get 38. Apart from only tacking one pessenger its o.k. but the Vitara we have appears to be more economical. deerwarden.

I have had all three mentioned above, the suki vitara firstly was the 1600cc petrol it was great off road with true low range, did 34mpg on a run from south wales to scotland with a 5'x3' trailer on, and 36mpg without, great reliability too., never needed any parts other than brake pads/discs £80 for all fronts.

The forester 2.0 awd was much quicker, and sturdier on road, but struggled even on damp grass/mud (with new bridgestone dueller a/ts), struggled to do more than 30mpg, and was horrendous for parts - rear wheel bearing was £140 due to it needing to be pressed, clutch was 10 hrs labour plus £180 for parts, exhaust £300. Ouch!

Best for me so far has been the Disco 300tdi, great reliability, 32mpg on trips to scotland, never had a problem off road (difflock), carried everything 2 stalkers and dogs needed for a weeks trip and brought deer home too. Parts silly cheap ( wheel bearing £12, brake pads £15, exhaust down pipe £17). Cost me £2500 and worth every penny, can even run 'er on veggie so much cheaper than doozul.

Last edited:
I have A Jimny jeep to its great across fields very light in weight so you don't get bogged down i 've taken the two back seats out and made a box for all my kit and sit a plastic tray on top for the carcass.Its cheap on fuel and car tax and insurance, i use it for commuting to work everyday and am getting around 36/37 mpg and theres stacks around to choose from GO GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont get a Freelander, it will be cheaper in the long run to keep the Jeep at 8mpg. How about a Fourtrack? Built like a tank and excellent in the slippy stuff.

Yorkie.

Daihatsu Terios

It'll do anything you ask it, then some more :thumb:

Cheap and reliable. Only downfall being that its a bit small.

If you have a bulk tank at home for lpg i was quoted 39 ppl to fill a 2000 lt tank yesterday and you can geta hand pump and fill you own vehicle

Mark

I am picking up a Kia Sorento today. Supposed to be good on juice, big interior, loads of torque and if youtube and the owners club are to be believed, good off road.

Ian

I have a Suzuki Vitara V6 auto petrol, it does 20mpg so go for a diesel, otherwise faultless bit of kit. Lots of bits available and lots in the scrap yards. Cheapish to insure and very reliable.

My second best buy after my Leica bins and only cost £700 with 65k miles on clock.

D

Back