How long do you tumble for?

204 Ruger

Hi, ive bene using an ultrasonic bath to claen my cases but ahev just bought a tumbler. just wondeirng how long you guys tumble for. im using Walnut media. Thanks STEVE

What I usually do is put the tumbler in the garage and witch it on before I go to be and. Turn it off when I leave for work about 5.30am. Your cases should then be all nice and shiney !

If your name is adamant then u put it on the day I pick u up for a 4 day Scotland trip and switch it off when u get home :lol: the benefit of this is a big electricity bill and VERY clean brass , be at mine on the 15th but switch the tumbler off Ireland 9 day trip.

Gadget

Thanks chaps. My cases are pretty clean anyway so I tried a couple of hours last night and they look pretty good. The medai getting stuck ijt eh falsh hole is a pain in the rear though. I still give the pocket a claen anyway so maybe worth just leaving them ina dn decap after?

It will also depend upon the type of tumbler. I started out with a Thumblers polisher which is meant for polishing stones for jewellery making and so is designed to runs for weeks. it would polish up say 400 9mm cases in a few hours depending upon the media used. Some has Jewellers rouge added to help clean dirty brass. I now also have a vibratory cleaner and that can take a bit longer but of course uses a magnet rather than a motor.

Using the Thumlers polisher with stainless steel media, now that is what you call shiny!!
And before the experts pipe in, no I'm not that particular about the brass I use - walnut media was always good enough but now I
need them shiny and clean so that I can see the brass change colour when I anneal the necks on the machine I made.

Stainless Steel Media

Yeah a little pricy but the guy knows about UK gouging.
The media will last a long time.
Well impressed.

Using the Thumlers polisher with stainless steel media, now that is what you call shiny!!
And before the experts pipe in, no I'm not that particular about the brass I use - walnut media was always good enough but now I
need them shiny and clean so that I can see the brass change colour when I anneal the necks on the machine I made.

Stainless Steel Media

Well impressed.

Soudns good. But my tumpler is plastic, surely SS would eventually wear through the unit!!!!

Soudns good. But my tumpler is plastic, surely SS would eventually wear through the unit!!!!

If you look at the link you will see the tumbler that they use is steel bodied with a thick moulded rubber insert (used for lapidary-rock polishing) ... visit the link, some videos there...

It just works!

Stainless Steel Media

Well impressed.

Cheers Joe,, I need some new rubber bands/rings for my Thumbler and that's what he supplies so i should be able to get some from him. Mother wants some stones polished up for a project she has in mind :rolleyes:.. so need to break it out.

Back