My first decent red, very happy indeed!

deerstalker.308

I recently was lucky enough to be asked to control a herd of reds on the Norfolk/Suffolk border, it has turned out to be an amazing patch, and is utterly crawling with deer. Since the start of the season I have had 10 stags off the site and the neighbouring farm, most of which have been prickets and yearlings etc. The rut seemed to kick off about 2 weeks ago here, and I started to see more mature animals, last week I shot two (one 8 pointer and another 10) but both were very young animals each weighing in at 108kg, no more than 3 years old or so. Tonight however I think I met their old man........View attachment 9359View attachment 9358 The second picture has the previous 8 pointer within his span, that's one deer I won't be forgetting in a hurry. :D

yes that is a cracking head how heavy was he compared to others i am looking forward to my first red as well but im still new to all this so will keep at the roe for now lol well done again

webby

Nice! you don't get many of them on the bare northern hills! you southerners are lucky with the size of your trophy's!

That certainly is a fine beast there mate. Well done, you are a lucky man to have such good ground to stalk on, I'm quite envious!

Why don't you wait till they get big and mature before you shoot them!:cool:

That is nowt compared to what Norfolk/ Suffolk can produce if not shot until their going back.

Look at places like Euston etc. where they have Red Stag management programs and shoot a very small number each year but with good management and food and peace and quiet can produce very large heads.

He weighed in at 145kg this morning at the game dealers, most that have been coming off this ground have been 90-110, so I'm happy with that. As far as leaving them till they are going back, you're not wrong about the ones around Euston, however this is a herd that has thus far been largely unstalked and are causing huge amounts of damage to the local farms, his bigger brothers will be getting left, fear not, 9 of the ten or so that have come off there since August have been classic cull animals, I am really not fussed about chasing the big trophies, (they are more hassle than they are worth to boil out, and look a tad out of place in my 70's bungalow!).
Really looking forward to hitting the hinds though, that's where the management really begins.

He weighed in at 145kg this morning at the game dealers, most that have been coming off this ground have been 90-110, so I'm happy with that. As far as leaving them till they are going back, you're not wrong about the ones around Euston, however this is a herd that has thus far been largely unstalked and are causing huge amounts of damage to the local farms, his bigger brothers will be getting left, fear not, 9 of the ten or so that have come off there since August have been classic cull animals, I am really not fussed about chasing the big trophies, (they are more hassle than they are worth to boil out, and look a tad out of place in my 70's bungalow!).
Really looking forward to hitting the hinds though, that's where the management really begins.

So glad that you are sensible about management then! Too many "cowboys" wacking and stacking those lovely Reds!

Last edited:
That is a lovely looking head....I would have liked to see him in all his glory too.

One day I would love to shoot either a descent Fallow or Red, nothing too big, as the Mrs has promised me that I could put the antlers above the fireplace but it would have to be without the skull though !!!!

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

Nice! you don't get many of them on the bare northern hills! you southerners are lucky with the size of your trophy's!

Your right.... and they can keep them!!! Dragging/lifting/lardering stags over 300lbs!!!! No ta, I value my back too much :lol:;)

I like my wee 140lb Sika and 45lb Roe deer to work with just fine.

Terrible thing envy!:lol:

Ha, ha... ;)

A friend of a friend used to shoot a few big reds down your way that were on his ground next to his fish farm. He showed us the winch he had made up for the back of the pick-up roll bars and a purpose made ramp to drag them up. Now he was a really big bloke, easily 20st+ and he said it was almost impossible to work with them without all that gear.

Last edited:
Ha, ha... ;)

A friend of a friend used to shoot a few big reds down your way that were on his ground next to his fish farm. He showed us the winch he had made up for the back of the pick-up roll bars and a purpose made ramp to drag them up. Now he was a really big bloke, easily 20st+ and he said it was almost impossible to work with them without all that gear.

I can't argue with that one, on this occasion the farmers teleporter was required, they aren't as easy as slinging a munty in the wagon that's for sure!

Back