Thread: Best rest??

Best rest??

Hi to all, I have been trying to test some new hand loads and factory stuff and have run into a problem. I have been shooting with a bipod from the roll over cover on the back of my pickup but have been getting groups with 4 shots an inch apart at 200 then another 2 will b 3 inches away. I am convinced this is caused by the bipod slipping and jumping around on the slippery cover can't really think what else it would be?? How do you guys ensure a steady rifle for testing?

Any tips would be Appreciated

try putting the front car mat,if you have any, on the cover.

If I'm testing new hand loads then I'm prone or seated an a very sturdy bench using either a bipod or bag at the front end and a wedge shape bag at the back.

I prefer to be prone on the ground with a bag under the butt of the rifle.

I do find performance varies depending on how soft or firm the ground is under the bipod.

Regards JCS

James, you really need to shoot off sand bags front and rear for load development. From a bench if at all possible.

If you don't have access to a bench, you need to get prone with the bipod on the ground and a bag under the butt.

This is my set up, I can shoot very consistently from this:

Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 29-09-2011 at 08:19.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Thanks for the advice guys, I will get a good front bag and have another go as I just had a partially dislocated shoulder and lying prone is a bit impossible at he minute. Any recommendations on a good bag? My local dealer has a Caldwell tack driver which looks pretty steady? What's best to fill them with?

Some folks use rice to fill the bags, but that might start to grow or rot. Some use sand, I used cat litter to fill mine. Whatever you use it's a compromise between weight and stability. Also the degree of fill can make quite a difference to your shooting accuracy.

I have used rice, but it rots over time if it gets damp at all.

I now used kiln dried sand. Get a bag from B&Q. The only reason for kiln dried is that it is bone dry, and very fine, it therefore runs easily and makes filling the bag easy.

The front bag I used is Caldwell, not too dear.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I have tried different benches, bags, etc but still prefer prone with a bipod and a bag under the butt.
    I fill my bags with fine plastic beads that my mate got from a factory that makes pvc products. They are finer than rice and wont rot either.