How to stop cattle...

Rangefinder

Me and a mate were talking, he has some highseats in fields that the farmer grazes his cattle in from time to time. Last time he went, his wooden highseat was in a pile of twigs, the cattle had been using the uprights as a scratching post.

Anyone any tips on how to stop em doing it? I guess it would be the same for metal highseats too? We thought of wrapping barbed wire round the legs to a height of 6 foot but that would make getting in and out in the dark potentially painful.

What do you fella's use/do?

As above have wrapped barbed wire around the legs, you soon remember to only hold onto the rungs as you get lower. :eek:

I use barbed wire stays from each corner, the cattle can scratch as much as they like at the legs but the high seat is going nowhere.

Last edited:
Fencing it off is the only answer. However, even the fence will become a targe for scratching.

Cattle are drawn to any feature which sticks out from the hedge or whatever. If a branch falls from a tree in the hedge, you will see the ground around it tramped to mud by the beasts.

They will rub any high seat to death in a few days.

Well, I laughed.... when I saw which shire you come from... :D

Don't you laugh at Mr Frodo you. We takes things like that seriously in the shires we do. Anyway no cattle in Newbury. It made it's money from sheep.........um apparently, cos I ain't seen to many sheep around here either recently.

Me and a mate were talking, he has some highseats in fields that the farmer grazes his cattle in from time to time. Last time he went, his wooden highseat was in a pile of twigs, the cattle had been using the uprights as a scratching post.

Anyone any tips on how to stop em doing it? I guess it would be the same for metal highseats too? We thought of wrapping barbed wire round the legs to a height of 6 foot but that would make getting in and out in the dark potentially painful.

What do you fella's use/do?
thats not stalking thats sitting,get some exercise

Don't you laugh at Mr Frodo you. We takes things like that seriously in the shires we do. Anyway no cattle in Newbury. It made it's money from sheep.........um apparently, cos I ain't seen to many sheep around here either recently.

There are plenty of cattle and sheep about, i think your looking in the wrong places!! ;)

Your right, they just don't let me out very often...........Apparently I mistake them for deer and rabbits. :D

I suppose that I better say that is a joke in case someone takes it seriously and gives me a telling off.
:doh:

Back