As the red rut is just starting up here I thought it would be a timely to put a post on about a piece of equipment I have made to make extraction easier.
I knock up a deer sledge to assist with getting stags out of difficult to reach areas of our syndicate land. I used an old plastic IBC 1000lt container in its construction. I used the metal frame to make 4 parallel runners to this I welded a piece of 50x50 steel angle iron. This has three 12mm holes drilled in it to attach the dragging harness; I used the plastic container to make the body of the sledge which is easily cut up using a power saw. Two old car seat belts are used to make the harness. The sledge can be pulled by one person using both harness one round each shoulder, or by two people one on each. One advantage of using the sledge apart from adhering to level 2 hygiene criteria is it really comes into its own when dragging across clear fell, normally I find brash sticks into the deer while you are dragging bringing you to a holt, while in most cases the plastic sledge pushes the sticks and brash to one side.