Thread: My biggest ever Roe Buck

My biggest ever Roe Buck

As the title say's I shot my biggest ever Roe Buck tonight.
    I decided at 6:15pm that I would just go for a little amble on some land that I shoot a few short miles from home, so after getting changed and loaded the rifle into the truck I arrived at the land at about 6:30. Now the farmer had told me that he'd seen a 'gang' of 10 deer on the land a couple of days ago, I was sceptical but assumed that he had at least seen some deer. I walked up the first hedgerow and to my left were 3 deer, a Doe and her twins, these were obviously out of season but I waited a while to see if a buck would appear but they returned to the woods and were gone. Whilst I was watching these 3 I had seen another doe and follower to my right, these were skylined and were silhouetted against the orange contrast of the stunning sunset, it was then that I realised that I didn't have my camera on me! Doh!
    I decided to go and have a look at them as they were on a stubble field and there might be more deer there and there was a slim possibility of a buck. I eventually got to the hedgerow that was to be my ambush point and there infront of me were another 7 does and their followers! The farmer was right, I was gobsmacked, as I scanned them I was naturally looking for a male but they were all does and their young. I settled into the hedgerow and was quite happy watching them feed when with about 10 minutes of real daylight left a buck came trotting out from the trees, he made good time in coming 150 yards and stopped straight infront of me at about 50 yards, I couldn't believe my luck, he was a big lad too. Like I said he was now stood about 50 yards infront of me and had started to pick at the stubble and I thought that this was to good to be true and even God himself must have wanted me to take this one out. I placed the crosshairs on his neck and squeezed the trigger, THUD, I saw his front legs give way and he was down.
    When I got to him I did a quick inspection and was very impressed by his body bulk, he must have been the dominant fella in the area, but no longer. I looked at his head only to notice that his left ear was completely split in two, an old wound but very obvious, I wonder how he got that, his front teeth were well worn but he also had a couple missing, Maybe a scrap in the rut?
    I called into the farm on my way home and Mr farmer was happy, I was happy and so were my dogs when I got home.
    Dressed out (head off, bottom part of the legs off and innards out) he weighed a respectable 40lbs. I know that there are bigger but it's the best that I've had by 2lbs..
    Piccy of his head. Anyone any idea how this might have happened?

Do you mean the slashed ear DM,if so then it would of been done in a tussle during the rut mate,I had one this rut with an ear slit twice,and regularly get Muntjac with torn ears.

Yes Martin, the slit, I was wondering if it could be rutting but dismissed it as there is nothing to push against, if you get my drift.

Well done fella its either a rut injuary or a barbed wire fence in winter.would agree with M as most likely.

I'd say that was a rutting injury too. I shot one on our ground during the rut that had an identical cut to its eye, and I pondered long enough until I decided it could only be that.

nice buck well done andy