What price good glass ?

hangfire

Myself and a few friends are looking for new binos, so off we went to the Midland and raided every stand with optics on show, after assessing them for clarity, edge definition,light transmission from 50 yards to 5000, looking though bright light into shade etc, we sat down over a pint to discuss our findings.

We could only agree on three things.

1 Swarovski were the best
2 Nikon had a pair of 10 x 42sp that were exceptionable at a price of £241.00 (strange because
most of us did not rate the Monach Range)
3 The difference in quality between the Nikons and the 10 x 42 Swarovski's was in no way worth the extra £1500.00

I'd like to hear other Members thoughts

I am surprised you all managed to agree! i did the same sort of test not long ago, the variation in my friends eyesight was so great that no one could agree on which wich was the "BEST", we all agreed that we coudnt see £1500 difference looking through budget / swarovskis etc, our eyes are all very different, what works for my eyes does not work for others!

Skipp

Myself and a few friends are looking for new binos, so off we went to the Midland and raided every stand with optics on show, after assessing them for clarity, edge definition,light transmission from 50 yards to 5000, looking though bright light into shade etc, we sat down over a pint to discuss our findings.

We could only agree on three things.

1 Swarovski were the best
2 Nikon had a pair of 10 x 42sp that were exceptionable at a price of £241.00 (strange because
most of us did not rate the Monach Range)
3 The difference in quality between the Nikons and the 10 x 42 Swarovski's was in no way worth the extra £1500.00

I'd like to hear other Members thoughts

You all seemed to agree that the Swarovski's were the best, but only you as an individual can decide if you want to shell out the extra £1,500.

It's always difficult to answer questions like this - it's like asking whether a Porsche is worth the extra tens of thousands over and above a Ford, as they both do the job. Or the difference in buying prescription glasses or the £1.50 set from the supermarket. As with so many things, you pay your money and take your choice. For some, the £1,500 extra for the Swaros will be worth spending for the difference in quality at first/last light, the residual resale value, after-sales service, etc.

Having built up a collection of binoculars over the years, both cheap and expensive, all I would say is that I've never, ever, regretted buying the Swarovskis. They have been faultless over the last 5 years, whereas I can't say the same for the others in the collection. When stalking you spend most of your time looking through binos, so why not do your eyes a favour and buy the best?

willie_gunn

I swithered for ages and looked binos after binos, compared and compared, I really didn't want to to spend £1500 in a pair of Swaro's. But in the end I did and I can honestly say they are brill. The difference thay make has already allowed me to spot dear I would have missed, saved me bumping other deer whilst stalking other deer. One thing I will add is having spent ages comparing them I went for SLC' over the EL's. It wasn't a price thing just prefered them.

As Swarovski have just launched their new EL's you can expect to see quite a lot of the "old" EL's coming on to the 2nd hand market. Alternatively see what Macleod's have in S/H and Used Stock.

Hello, I got myself a pair off 8 x 42 HD swarovskis and the difference between them and the budget range and fantastic! The light that they pull in is unbelievable! The clarity through them is worth every penny off £1400 well worth it if the budget stretches!

I can agree with Willie here, as I have had them all, (the brands), both in scopes & bino's, at present I find the Leica Geovids to be King of the heap for Lamp work, allied to a Swaro scope,on top of the rifle.

I bought a pair of Minox 8.5x42 HG's recently, cost £300 imported from the US.

I have compared them intensively against my various Swaro scopes and the Swaro SLC 8x30 LRF I used normally in place of binoculars. Comments:

1. The Minox wipe the floor with the Swaro 8x30 LRF in low light, but that it to be expected.

2. Comparing the Minox to the Z6i 3-18x50 on my 22/250 at last light in August and Sept, the Z6i is better in terms of the clarity/definition of the image. I was watching a fox at 375 yards at around 10.00pm one night. I could see perfectly well that it was a fox with the Minox. With the Z6i, the image and colour definition were certainly better. I shot the fox when he came in to around 250...

3. Stalking in fairly dark woodland last weekend. I have a Z6 2-12x50 on the 260. The Minox just about beat the Z6 for light/clarity as it got dark.

Over all I am massively impressed by the Minox. I have compared them to EL HD's, there is not doubt the Swaro's are better, but as the OP said, in no way are they £1500 better. I think the Minox are more than good enough for any stalker, I would spend the saved money on sport.

I am well aware that comparing Bin's to a scope it not a fair comparison, I should also say I am effectively blind in the left eye. These things may compromise my "view", but the Minox is a winner.

The latest HG's are more like £800 - £900 I think.

Last edited:
I have Zeiss BGAT 7x42, second pair I bought as I foolishly sold my original pair and bought Zeiss BGAT 10x40, which were just not as good for dawn and dusk stalking, although a bit lighter.

I have recently also bought a pair of Swarovski 10 x25 pocket binos, and they are fantastic and not bad in low light. good to have on you all the time.

Mrs TS has a pair of Swarovski EL 8x32.

My binoculars are a pair of Zeiss Jenoptem (the East German factory) 10x50 I bought new for £49.95 in the early 80's.

The Zeiss are astonishingly good considering their humble background, and I don't rate them that far behind the Swarovski's :eek:. They were probably my best ever value purchase :cool:

I tried Zeiss, Leica and Swaro in the US this year - and bought the new Leupold Olympic 10 x 50's for well under $500. Unbelievable in low light and incredible clarity so couldn't justify the other $1500+ for the others.

Still spent the money - new Swaro scope :rolleyes:

PS The Leupold lens caps are CRAP. Chucked them away & fitted Butler Creek flip ups.

i have the monarchs and i recon they are mint, i got a pair of steiner ranger pros 8x56 too and those are really good but 500 od quid

i bought nikon trailblazer 10x50 in the us and thought they were great at low light well worth the money ???

What says you have to pay £1500 for a pair of Swarovski?

You can get some quality items S/H, you still get the quality and unique after sales of Swarovski UK for a fraction of the new price.

Or are you one of the people that must have things brand new?

Back