Thread: Cooking munty haunch

Cooking munty haunch

I have a munty haunch here, trying to decide what to do with it for some guests tonight... last one was deboned, wrapped in bacon, bay leaves & few other herbs and roasted... not sure whether to do a stew/tagine or something different this time... any tasty recommended recipes?

Hi Stig
    Whatever you do, get the bone out.
    Deer fat, which the bone contains lots of, has a high melt point and once cooked, does not take long to reform again. This can happen while the meat is resting after cooking or even on your plate-result is a sticky floury taste because your tounge gets coated with lots of small fat droplets. Get the bone out and you cut this down to a minimum.
    Also, there is a quite large fat area, shaped a bit like a triangle, within the haunch meat and between two of the main muscle groups. You should spot it when boning out.

I always bone out the haunch and also separate the muscles groups on one side, extract the fat and then re-assemble the haunch and cook as a rolled joint, a bit like a brisket.
    Try a long slow roast with some fat bacon pinned onto the joint before foil wrapping it.
    I even came across a recipe the other day where you put a bit of coke or pepsi into the wrapping foil before cooking. Apparently it makes brill' gravy

you know what they say-the longer the better! (cooking that is)

Thanks Buckstalker... Deboned as advised, rubbed in lemon juice, rosemary, honey, pepper, olive oil and wrapped in streaky bacon, cooked for about 1 hr, some garlic spuds, broad beans, gravy and a large dollop of Finnish lingonberry 'jam'... Let's just say there were no compliants!

The one thing venison suffers from is a lack of fat! I'm also fairly sure that bones don't contain that much fat either. What they do add is flavour, and they prevent the meat from shrinking.
    The only succulence in venison is generally water, so you need to prevent it from drying out. Muntjac haunches are superb when cooked very slowly and submerged in a casserole sauce or 'pot roasted'.
    Wrapping in bacon or tinfoil will also prevent dryness.
    I shoot up to a hundred or so Muntjac a year and I've never yet shot a fat one yet!

I make a wet rub up with olive oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, garlic, salt and pepper and paint it onto the haunch.

It then goes in a very hot oven perhaps with a bay leaf for 35 mins.

It helps if the aitch bone is removed but otherwise I leave the rest intact.

The only complaints I get are when it runs out!! .