Bisley live

I posted this at lunchtime today on another site:

I just got back, having done a quick whistle-stop round the stalls. That took less than two hours, and a good part of that time was chatting as I bumped into various people I knew.

Compared to any of the Game Fairs it is very small. Maybe if you want to make a day of it and take advantage of the opportunity to shoot various rifles/shotguns it would be worth going.

However, I think the pricing is too high. I was unsure that I could go, so did not book in advance. The adult ticket price on the gate is £22, I got that down to £18 with NRA membership but that is still high for what you get.

If you do not have NRA membership and wish to shoot rifles you need to register for the day at a further £12. Once you have done that the next cost is the ammo, which looked to be about £1 a shot for centre fire.

It could add up quickly to an expensive day.

I knew I was only going for the stalls, so would not get as much out of it as someone wanting to shoot, but was still a bit miffed at the gate price being so much more than the advance price.

The main layout of the stalls is three rows , and I thought that was it. However, on walking back to my car I spotted a short row of stalls near the skeet layout.

its not run by the NRA Kevin, they have let the space to a private company and taken a charge for the use of the ground, the pricing is down to the private company, the NRA have negotiated a reduction for their members. Personally I think £22 is way too high, but apparently they had 2000 visitors on Friday so somebody thinks the price is bearable :eek: obviously there are no end of people with free access and NRA discount, but that still presumably leaves a lot of people paying top whack, if the numbers add up, then the event will probably happen again, if not then it will quietly fade away....the weather must be helping immensely!

I was shooting on the 100 and 200 this morning so decided to go along.
With what they had on offer I'd pay a tenner, £18 was too much. Not much to buy really as most stands with guns where importer/agent stands so everything was listed as full RRP, which nobody in their right minds would pay.

There was quite a nice knife stand though, seemed to have some decent stuff for reasonable money.

Still, nice to have a peek through the Swaro, Zeiss, Nightforce etc glass.

Didn't manage to get any expanding 6.5mm bullets, but that seems par for the course for me :cry:

Oh, and there were some fit birds walking about promoting italian shotguns. Can't remember the name, it was printed on their chests...:oops:

Was thinking of limping around there tomorrow but what i'm reading isn't that encouraging :-|

its not run by the NRA Kevin, they have let the space to a private company and taken a charge for the use of the ground, the pricing is down to the private company, the NRA have negotiated a reduction for their members. Personally I think £22 is way too high, but apparently they had 2000 visitors on Friday so somebody thinks the price is bearable :eek: obviously there are no end of people with free access and NRA discount, but that still presumably leaves a lot of people paying top whack, if the numbers add up, then the event will probably happen again, if not then it will quietly fade away....the weather must be helping immensely!
Kenny only 800 through the gates on Friday mate I was fed privy info today, lots of disgruntled stall holders some packed up at lunch today and even some of the big boys had closed their doors by 16.00.
To be fare i`m glad I was in on a free ticket or I would not have been a happy bunny if anyone is close enough to collect I have another FREE of course.

Kenny only 800 through the gates on Friday mate I was fed privy info today, lots of disgruntled stall holders some packed up at lunch today and even some of the big boys had closed their doors by 16.00.
To be fare i`m glad I was in on a free ticket or I would not have been a happy bunny if anyone is close enough to collect I have another FREE of course.

Sounds bad, I too spoke with a couple of people I knew working there, wondered if they shouldn't have three days and just had the weekend.

Ouch! is the 800 paying punters or does it include those with complimentary tickets Pierre?

I went on Saturday, thank you Sporting Rifle for the tickets!
I must say I am in agreement with others who attended. Not a lot on display for the money.
If you're trying to get people interested in shooting, getting them to pay through the nose isn't a good place to start!
Overheard a trader complaining that they weren't being allowed to oversee their rifles on the manufacturers lanes, due to the NRA getting "all HSE" insisting on "their ROs".
Most of the rifles were not being shot for long periods of time. I got to have a go (without waiting) on a Desert Tactical Covert in .308. Which was frankly amazing, shame it makes an Blaser R8 look cheap!
For a first-time event, putting it on for three days was possibly just a little over enthusiastic.
Interesting point, the ranages dropped the price for shooting from 3 to 4pm. doing a "happy hour". The cynic in me says it was because they had lots of ammo left..........

Overheard a trader complaining that they weren't being allowed to oversee their rifles on the manufacturers lanes, due to the NRA getting "all HSE" insisting on "their ROs".
When don't traders complain? If they were qualified ROs themselves or paid a heftier price to underwrite the necessary insurance, then maybe they could have it their own way...

Hi all

I went up on the sunday, and agree it was a bit expensive but.... I think the concept is great. I was looking for a new rifle and hey how many shows can you try them out one after another! I too spoke to a few traders and they were concerned over the lack of punters, it was disappointing however that on the sunday some had already gone and others were packing up! I went to buy some new trousers and was told my size were packing in the van already - sorry!?!?!

When don't traders complain? If they were qualified ROs themselves or paid a heftier price to underwrite the necessary insurance, then maybe they could have it their own way...

The reason for them complaining was that it was over heard on more than one occasion for a RCO telling those trying guns that this type of bolt /rifle wasn't a good one. Browning Xbolt was one of the rifles in question, If however the traders were allowed to demo there own products they would of been demonstrated by someone that knows the product and isn't giving an opinion on it. Traders would of preferred having an RCO overseeing what was being done but having some control of the actual demo. I was at the show and on a stand for all three days.

Cheers Jon

The reason for them complaining was that it was over heard on more than one occasion for a RCO telling those trying guns that this type of bolt /rifle wasn't a good one. Browning Xbolt was one of the rifles in question, If however the traders were allowed to demo there own products they would of been demonstrated by someone that knows the product and isn't giving an opinion on it. Traders would of preferred having an RCO overseeing what was being done but having some control of the actual demo. I was at the show and on a stand for all three days.

Cheers Jon

Ill agree with that - this was my first show ive been too in many years and went on the friday and after paying full whack to get in then another 12.50 to shoot and then again for the ammo only to be told that the rifle i was having a try with wasnt up to much i was a bit dishartened - then i had a go with a DSR to try a win a schmidt and bender scope - fantastic rifle must say - im only hoping not many more tried in the competion then im in with a shout :D

regards

Simon

Ill agree with that - this was my first show ive been too in many years and went on the friday and after paying full whack to get in then another 12.50 to shoot and then again for the ammo only to be told that the rifle i was having a try with wasnt up to much i was a bit dishartened - then i had a go with a DSR to try a win a schmidt and bender scope - fantastic rifle must say - im only hoping not many more tried in the competion then im in with

regards

Simon
Good luck with that...Well sort of as I work for Zeiss...:)

Cheers Jon
Ok, I see...

Back