Field Cleaning Kit

RichardAllen

I am doing DSC1 and note the safety advice that if the muzzle gets plugged with mud or snow on a stalk, abandon the stalk if you cannot clean it out. So the question remains, what should I take with me to clear the obstruction.

Clearly a normal rod is too long to carry with you, and a bore-snake/pull through has little weight to get through an obstruction.

I have seen advice on here about coated curtain springs, but don't fancy the metal end of a spring scratching the bore if the coating wears a bit.

Presumably since the safety advice gives the option to remove the obstruction there should/must be a purpose made solution for .243, .270, .308 and similar to do so - what is it ?

All advice gratefully received.

Regards
Richard

A few years ago there was a collapsible cleaning rod marketed. Folded up it measures about 4 or 5". I carry one of those in my bag just in case I manage to plug the muzzle. To be honest, as a cleaning rod, it's about as much use as t!ts on a fish. I've not seen them advertised for ages though, so I presume a lot of people reached the same conclusion as me.
Aha, just went away and googled it. Here's a link to it
http://www.gggaz.com/rapid-rod-gun-cleaning-rod.html

Last edited:
I have a 3 piece aluminium rod but I have never taken it with me!

the simple answer is keep your muzzle out of the mud! but net curtain wire seems to be the consensus for DSC answers

I have practical experience of this. I was stalking took a shot thought beast was dead re loaded stood up slung rifle and sling somehow detached stuffing barrel with mud. Beast wasn't dead and had to severe artery in neck. Couple of things 1) always check my sling now before going out 2) brought a folding rod from Sinclair I'll try and find a link. I got it from USA with jags for stuck cartridges. Look on u tube they have a demo vid.

cleaning kit

Just put tape over barrel no need to carry rods,the best solutions are usually simple idears

Tape is a good prevention. But not a solution if you get a blockage. Harry macs is the same rod as Sinclair

Using the curtain wire principle, maybe one of these cable pullers:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/sleeving/photo/gpn3.jpg

might do. It is nylon and brass so should not scratch. I have used one for some time modifying my Land Rover harness and expect it would be stiff enough to clear a bore, though it needs to be cut shorter.

£5.70 from these guys: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/sleeving/sleeving.php#gpn3

I have no links with them other than as a long time satisfied customer.

Regards
Richard

I have an Outers field kit that has a coiled length of plastic coated wire rope with a jag end. It coils up small but is stiff enough to push through the bore to remove tenacious mud or plugs if necessary. I've carried it for years but have only used it once on a hunting partner's rifle. I believe Outers still sells them.~Muir

I bought my boresnake some years ago for 'Field Cleaning' should it be required. When I needed it, I found the weight that comes with the thing to be pretty damn useless, so I modified mine.
The brass weight on mine is now significantly better and is long enough to poke out any obstruction except perhaps in an extreme case scenario. Not that I get that many obstructions...I can't remember the last - 'Touch wood'!
Cheers, :old:

BoreSnake 002.jpg

Last edited:
Tape is a good prevention. But not a solution if you get a blockage. Harry macs is the same rod as Sinclair

+1 I know of a chap who loads his own ammo, on empy'n his rifle, between stalks he extracted the case leaving the head

stuck on the edge of the lands VERY LUCKY!!!

He never travels without the curtain wire NOW !! and checks ammo :doh::doh::doh:

Rgds, Buck.

Last edited:
Back