Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 sticks

4 sticks

I was helping out at the BDS DSC I course today near Innerleithen and folk were admiring my 4 sticks.

Here's some info on them.

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 01-10-2011 at 21:46.

You cant beat the quad sticks, I am confident that I would pass DSC1 test all shots from 100m standing with a set. I use 4 matingale rings to pull it all together.

Thanks guys, a trip to B&Q it is to make my own.

funny how people want to spend more than the cost of a stalk on sticks years ago i was taught to stalk with a pair of garden canes and a large rubber band holding them together also the use of a single stick. was it becouse we used field craft to get close thats the joy of stalking.I seem to think when I did my level one we were supposed to use only what we would normally use in the field. It worries me that now pepole seem to use these fancy tripod sticks etc and take longer shots. rant over. travel light stalk in close B&Q canes

I'm a two stick guy for roe, but I have to admit that as the grass is getting longer, or over young trees, sometimes you do need to take a 100+ yd shot standing, and for that twin sticks are not 'really' up to the task,,,so you know, maybe I'll give them a shot thanks for sharing JCS,,,

the trick with two sticks is foot position or environment IMO

if the sticks are at 9 and 3 o'clock
    put your feet at 12 and 6 o'clock or as close to it as possible, using the rear foot as a the main weight bearing foot (and no I do not mean stand on one leg!)
    You end up leaning into the sticks more and create much closer to the ideal "tripod"

other than that, lean backwards into a tree, fence post, wall, etc and lean stick towards you.

Triggersticks from bushwear are pretty good.
    They are a tripod that uses a single handed deployment design & are fairly quiet.
    Could do with being a little lighter though! For 70 you cant go wrong.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Or for half of that you could have a set of hardwood quad sticks
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

or for a tenth of that a set of B&Q canes

I was stalking in Wilts at the start of the Roe season and the stalkers there were using quad sticks that they had been given by a Danish client. As I am visiting family in Denmark I have found the manufacturer and getting a set. Roughly 70 pounds. Not bad I thought.

Whether they will replace my two plastic fencing posts tied together with postal rubber bands remains to be seen.