Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: draft letter seeking oppurtunity

draft letter seeking oppurtunity

below is a draft letter which is self explanatory, any comments greatly appreciated. due to be sent to a dairy farmer with some good land/deer and nobody looking after them. hope it works!?!

I am writing in connection with the management of the wild deer population on your land, and would like to offer my services to you, free of charge.

My proposal is not for recreational stalking, trophy hunting or indiscriminate culling, but developing a proper management plan for the benefit of your crops, property and the wellbeing of the deer themselves. This would include the monitoring and recording of the current population, and eventually the culling of selective animals based on the current population in the area, cull records would be produced for future reference and planning.

To maintain a happy equilibrium in the population, the doe numbers would be kept to suitable levels to maintain the population and the poorer bucks would be culled to encourage development of better animals which would hold their own territory. Worthy successors to good animals would be left to develop and take the territory, or move on if neighbouring territory becomes available to them . Unworthy animals would be culled at appropriate times to alleviate the pressures on the good animals. Injured and unhealthy animals would be culled on site. I could also offer you the service of vermin and pest control if you so wish. All culling would be carried out using a licensed deer legal, sound moderated rifle and I have BASC insurance for the value of 10 million.

You will benefit from having a more healthy and happy deer population, which in turn will lead to less damage caused by territory marking etc. And one obvious benefit to a dairy farm, less uncontrolled movement of deer which could pass on disease to your herd.

Also having a deer manager on you land will deter poachers and trespassers as once word gets around, these types will stay away as my visits would be at irregular intervals, at obscure hours. Small signs could be placed at suitable locations to inform people of the presence of a deer manager. You could even end up with a supply of venison at your disposal.

To do this properly the police would be informed and the relevant land checks arranged if necessary, and your neighbours would be contacted to inform them of my activities, consult with their deer managers (if they have them, so that our plans can work with each other) and request permission to retrieve shot deer from their land should a shot deer run onto their land (this does sometimes happen, even a well shot deer can run for some distance).

If you wish to take up my offer, or discuss any points further before making a decision, please contact me so we can discuss the matter further and formalise arrangements/establish boundaries etc.

If you do not wish to take to further, I thank you for your time in reading this letter.

Hi Bucksden,

I used to write very similar letters but didn't get any answers to them.

I have recently obtained some land and the letter I wrote was only three paragraphs long.

In my letter I put that I was undertaking a deer population survey of the area and would like to observe and 'monitor' deer numbers on the farmers land.

Once he got to know me, he gave me the permission. I can shoot for free, Muntjac, Fallow, fox, squirrels and rabbits. Take firewood and Hazel stakes and binders for hedge laying. He also pays me for maintaining his fences and cutting down wind blown trees.

He has know offered to talk to the neighbouring farms on my behalf.

No offence but too much detail, too soon is not always good idea IMHO.

You seem to be a honest chap, with a real passion for deer. Let that be the route to your success! If I can do it anyone can.

Good Luck!!!

Knock on his door and speak to him one on one an he will be more ameanable, dont go too early or at times of meals and remember they work hard and dont stay up late.
    We have found if you dont jump straight in for deer and offer to do the dirty work as in crows , rabbits, pidgeons, and the like you can allways throw in that you can manage the deer population when you get the ice breaking out of the way......

Too long and detailed, and it reads like you are doing him a favour , you need to shorten it and make it sound as if he will be doing you a favour, best bet IMO is go and talk to the guy.

Have to agree with the others. The letter, although covering a lot of detail, would turn me off before I got halfway through it. Now if anybody did get right through it you keep mentioning "a deer manager" and the benfits it could bring, they might ask what qualifications you have, and you do not mention any. Go and knock on his door, speak to the man ask for pest control work, or try sneaky Beowolf's attack (I like that) doing the survey thing. Face to face is the best way, it is difficult to assess the man when you are just reading a letter. Pick a time and knock on his door, I would in your shoes.

Hi JayB,
    You are dead right, my letter was quickly followed up with a visit to the farmer. I nearly blew it when I did the 'full on' deer management speech.
    I regrouped, kept my mouth shut and phoned him everytime I wanted to go on to his land. I waited for him to ask me to cull out a few deer for him.
    Job done and happy as the proverbial pig!

Thats the way to it!

didnt get that land which the letter was drafted for - not the letters fault (i didnt send it, tried the chatting method) but the farmer - he was happy to let his lurcher have the job of deer manager!

just got permission on over 2000 acres 10 minutes from my front door, with roe, munty, occasional fallow and a real fox problem.

this all came my way beacuse of a small mishap between a .243 and a neighbours cow!

keep looking lads, you never know when that oppurtunity will happen.

A good letter never the less, I have to admit a personal visit has done the trick for me, put for gods sake dont be over keen or pushy as that is one way to annoy any farmer. Go in smart country wear, not your shooting gear as that looks presumptuous.

Ask if the farmer has time to show you the boundries, if not at least it shows willing on your part. A walk round the land can also highlight deer damage, a landowner I showed this to was amazed and could not thank me enough.

If you shoot land nearby then say so, if landowners know that others have you on their land this generally quells their fears that you may be a gun toting maniac! A bit of venison here and there, along with sweets for the kids and wine at Christmas is always a winner.

Happy hunting