help needed

lambsey

I ve been stalking roughly 5 years in different locations, passsed my level 1 and doing my level 2 at the moment.

Just had my first assesment, which didnt go very well. The assesor who had over 30 years experience(nice bloke) has told me to get more experience in every area of stalking,gralloching and larder prep etc!!!
The problem i have is how, without costing me a fortune? I have to pay for all my stalking and do not lease any land?
I spoke to bds and basc and they have told me to do a intermediate course £250 or more!!!!!!!
I dont mind, doing courses but this could end up costing me a bloody fortune??

After listening and watching the assesor at work, it showed i have a lot to learn and respect his views.
but getting a bit dispondant and wondering if its all worth while at the moment??

just goes to show you cant beat experience!!!

Any ideas??

What part of the UK are you in? Let me know and we will see what we can do to help you.

Sikamalc

It sounds like you got some good advice from the assessor. I have worked with a few people with DSC 2 and was suprised at their limited knowledge.
Mastery of a subject takes time and we all seem to be in a hurry to get a certificate and job done.
Give yourself a break, slow down and get the experience under your belt. Find a chap like Malc to guide you through the process. Its quality not quantity or speed you should be looking for. I see a lot of bad habits that novices thing are good practice. When you see a job done well you'll know.

Mark

Lambsy it seams you are caught between the Devil and the deep blue see .I knew this dmq 2 would effect some people in a negative and not a positive way , I hope you get some one from the site that can help you out and hopefully locally. But it is true there are chaps who have been stalking for a very long time and for one reason or another seem not to be able to grasp the basics of stalking a chap from a different site has bean trying to get his lev 2 done for 4 years now and got his lev one through grandfather rights . He has now discredited to AW ,s saying they were in it for money and they only took petrol money . If this type of thing is happening what chance has any one got of getting a stalk witnessed cheaply.
PS if you are up in the area called gods country west of Scotland then contact me i would certainly take you out for a stalk and give you any pointers that might help you with regards deer stalking. ;)

Well I do not know anyone in North Wales, and I have no stalking up that way, but hopefully one of the members will help you out. If not and you are really stuck Pm me and I will try and arrange a day down this way.

Cheers

Sikamalc

As you know stalking is hard to come by in North Wales but it might be worth contacting John Price who manages the deer at Kinmel. I don't know if he is able to witness you but he is certainly a possibility and of course has access to stalking.

lambsey said:
After listening and watching the assesor at work, it showed i have a lot to learn and respect his views.
but getting a bit dispondant and wondering if its all worth while at the moment?? it's always worth while in the end

just goes to show you cant beat experience!!!

Any ideas??
who was your assesor lambsey?
and how far do you normaly travel for your stalking? i may hav a decent stalking contact from whom you will be able to get extra tuition whilst stalking and gralloching to help towards getting your L2
stone

level2

There is no substitute for experiance I have had a rifle since i was 18 am now 59 did level 1 a few years ago now and realised how little i new of other species than roe now have level 2 and act as AW.must have cost me thousands over the years but still love to go to new places. go to scotland for open hill reds every winter love it. suggest you take your time, chill out its not competition.(except against the deer).I readily admit I am still learning especilly on the Hill

Back