Browning A bolt

novice

Does anyone have any comments on the a bolt range of rifles, more specifically the stainless synthetic model? How do they compare to Tikka rifles? Also, if anyone knows of and second hand examples for sale, either privately or in a shop, then a pm would be appreciated. .243 for preference, but id consider putting in for a variation. Cheers novice

Hi Novice

I have not long sold my old Tikka 595 in 243 stainless to make way for a Browning A-bolt titanium in 243 WSSM.

In build quality there is nothing in it, and I am comparing it with the old Tikka not the newer T3s the old ones were considered better than the newer model. The A-bolts are built by Mikoku in Japan, you won’t find many calling there shotguns.

In designs both are quite different, the A-bolt has a shotgun type safety (which I like) a three lug bolt so it has a short lift and a steel removable mag’ which is connected to the floor plate so you can’t lost it.

The tikka has a side safety,(more prone to getting knocked off by mistake), a two lug bolt and most models come with a plastic mag. You can buy as an extra 5 shot mags for the tikka while the Browning and standard Tikkas come with a 3 shot. The Browning mag’ can be topped up with out removing it.

Both ones I have had shot sub MOA so nothing it there.

I would suggest that you get your hands on one of each then make your mind up,

Any thing else you need to know fire away. :D

Best rgds

Tarh

Cheers for the informative reply Thar. You have pretty much listed the reasons i was looking at the Browning. I especially like the safety design and mag set up. I actually own a 595 at the moment. There is nothing especially wrong with it and it kills deer ok, but there have been a few instances where i havent had entire confidence in it. My stalking buddy is right handed and so slings the rifle on his right shoulder, which has caused the Tikka side safety to rub against his jacket, not cool! Think i will keep a weather eye open for a good second hand Browning. Unfortunately not in the position to buy new Cv the moment. Novice

Recently aquired a new A bolt in .243 and I have to say I am impressed with it.
I was going to get a T3 lite which I already have in .222 but with with the price hikes with the euro T3's were nearly £1000 where as the Browning was £585.
I did get a Timney trigger upgrade which added a bit but as a bonus it came factory threaded which was a saving.
The duracoat coating on the stock is fantastic and the bolt is slick and super fast.
Generally it is a well made bit of kit which offers excellent value for money and also offers good grouping straight out of the box.
I am shooting sako 90g gameheads at the moment and it will shoot sub inch groups on these factory loads so cant wait to get some home loads through it.

The Browning rifles in general are very accurate . Belgian gunsmiths say that in accuracy they are the closest to the Blaser rifles . Are they biased ?
I don't know . The ones that I zeroed , bolt action and BAR rifles where very accurate with out of the box ammo .
For the moment the price is very intresting .
I own a European , wich is a " European " version of the A bolt .
The Top Tang safety is I think the same . It has , in my opinion , only one drawback . You can't turn it of in complety silence .
On the hill where deer are 100 - 150 meters out , it won't matter .
For close woodland stalking , when a roe deer could be only 20 meters from you this is another thing .
If the saftety button would be slightly higher you might be able to hold it firmly between the thumb and the finger , but with this button and cold fingers it will be difficult . I already thought asking my gunsmith to solder something on it to be able to hold it better .
When you see the rifle just try it and make up your own mind .

In general : A very accurate , reliable and light rifle , which is very easy to operate . For this money it will be difficult to find anything better .
Even for a lot more money , what do you get more in quality , accuracy ??

Hales,

I am not familiar with the browning however I am familiar with wildfowling shotguns and their safety catches.

If you imagined a slot cut into the normal shotgun external safety catch at right angles to the normal direction of travel, then a small upright rectangular plate soldered into that slot with a ramp built up on either side of the plate to support it and finished off to look reasonable would do the job you require. You would have a safety catch suitable for cold weather which you could also release slowly and quietly.

However on shotguns the removal and refitting of the external button of a safety catchis not a difficult task. Rather than adapt your existing safety catch I'm sure that any competent gunsmith could readily fashion a new one fron a solid piece of steel to match the existing rifle and you retain the original should you wish to sell the rifle at a later date. The gunsmith may even have a suitable one in his box of odds and ends!

If you can't envisage it I can try and put a photo on.

Regards

Bob

a bolt

I have the Eclipse with thumbhole stock in .22/250 and a 30-06 with duracoat. I am a definite fan for all of the reasons listed. I looked at the synthetic Tikka when looking for the 30-06 but thought that the browning felt so much better to handle. I dont have any reservations but the varmint barrel sure makes the gun heavy

Hello Bob ,

You have to excuse me , but English is not my own language and sometimes it's not always easy to find the correct words to explain what you want to say .
My first idea was to have a gunsmith drill a small hole in the safety catch and solder a thin bar/stick in it to have a strong grip on it .
I later thaught to have the gunsmith cut a groove/slot into the safety catch and solder a small plate in it . This is probably what you try to explain me .
If it's not to difficult a photo might say more than many words .
For this the remington safety is very good . You can hold it thight between thumb and finger .
Thanks a lot for the advice .

I've a A bolt Synth Stalker in .308 - It was an import by the previous owner. Absolutely cracking light peice of kit, and l have a T3 Hunter - I'd say there's not build difference in the build quality. I use (when l can find it) Federal in both and can achieve 3/4 in. groups through either at 100yards.

I'd say that the A bolt is slightly lighter, but it came with a metric / American screw thread which was for Boss System. When l went to get a T8 from Jacksons, it took the lads at Ministery Ranges 4 attempts to get the thread right!

The only thing l would say is that the A bolt if left for 2 days without a clean after any amount of ammo through it will rust the barrel - whereas the T3 is fine. I also resolved to putting warne rings and bases on the A bolt as the optilocks where shocking..

Tom

I had a stainless synthetic a - bolt in 270, I must admit that I regret getting rid of it.
For the price I think it's as good a rifle you'll get.

Back