Red Rutting or not?

Paul 600

Just got back from Thetford and all the deer are hiding! Not a noise or a sign of the Red rut. A few hinds and calves were seen in small numbers, ones and twos but no stags! Very few deer seen in general, had to make do with a couple of Muntjac!

What are the Red doing in your area? I am sure the tropical weather has thrown the rut out and general deer behaviour?

Spoke to a mate who is Stalking in Perthshire near Blair Atholl. Nothing happening up there yet. He is hoping for the first frosts to get things moving.

Yorkie.

They've been going at it like crazy down in Galloway for the past week+ My latest catches have been seriously stinky

Just got back from Thetford and all the deer are hiding! Not a noise or a sign of the Red rut. A few hinds and calves were seen in small numbers, ones and twos but no stags! Very few deer seen in general, had to make do with a couple of Muntjac!

What are the Red doing in your area? I am sure the tropical weather has thrown the rut out and general deer behaviour?

I was watching a very large Stag with a group of 15 hinds and calfs tue night very close to Thetford. he was calling so loud as he was back and forth through some cover crop, so im sure it has started.
DTD

not yet , been out tonight on a permission on the suffolk border and not even heard a roar !

in fact i saw bugger all , so you done better than me with a couple of muntjac .

out again in the morning , im off to another red deer patch ive got just south of norwich so ill let you know what i see !

Good luck! Had the pup retrieving from the river yesterday!, he doesn't know he's not supposed to do that!

Rut is certainly on here, but the weather is against us heavy rain and gale force winds good weather last week but we had no clients then due to a death in the family, apart from that we have had one dry day in the last month, as far as I can remember the worst stag season ever 86 was bad but I am sure this is worse.

Rut is certainly on here, but the weather is against us heavy rain and gale force winds good weather last week but we had no clients then due to a death in the family, apart from that we have had one dry day in the last month, as far as I can remember the worst stag season ever 86 was bad but I am sure this is worse.
Yep, never made it out today either, the weather has been brutal, in for 8 this week and sitting at 2 just now. Going to need to go some thurs, fri, sat!!

working on isle of mull on new hospital site today and 2 stags having a roaring match in field 200 yards from site,when we were finishing up tonight one of the ventilation boys from fife says to me"some noise they coos are making there eh!!!"in his defence he hadnt seen the stags as they were out of sight at that point

They are fairly going in the woods here, heard the first roar on the 20th of Sept

Red rutting or not

Any reports from Glenlyon?
I am off there next week for the last few days at the stags and I recall last year the stalker saying the rut was late, so any news would be most welcome
Donsider

I had a wee calling match with one last Tuesday in Argyll and Bute, the bugger would not show himself though, shot one the following morning in his wallow, I guested the rut was just starting then, should be in full swing by now.

ATB

Tahr

Back