Strange deer liver !!

auquhollie

I had a Doe through the larder yesterday and the livers were a little strainge.
One of the livers was normal colour with a few small dark spots on it, the other liver was dark black and speckly. When feeling them the normal one was hard and the dark one was squashy.

Otherwise the Doe was a belter of a Beast and seemed healthy.

What could this be ?.

Ads

Did you have two animals or just one. A photo would have helped but I would hazard a guess that it was the early stages of liver fluke infection, when the cercariae ( immature stages ) wander around the liver eating it and producing toxins which damage it further. This can go on for 2-3 months before they mature into adults. Roe deer live with and thrive with an incredible amount of liver damage. Reds are far more resistant to infection.
Morena

if this infection was liver fluke would it be ok to pass on into the human food chain?
i believe that recently i had a roe with a liver fluke problem the liver was moltled in colour and lumpy in texture when sliced open their were holes or tubes through it in which fluke were living(if they are fluke)
the beasties were between 10 to 15mm long 5mm wide .5mm thick and looked like a lemon sole(sea fish)!
the animal prior to being shot looked and reacted normal. although it was a little thin around the backbone and hips. the rest of the animal ie eyes ,mouth,feet,throat,intestines etc etc appeared normal.
PS i did not pass mine into the human food chain, my dogs ate it.

Hi guys, it would be ok to go into the food chain IF the animal was in good bodily condition ie not emaciated, liver should obviously be disgarded...
RGDS
NELL

cervushunter, You have given the gold standard for a description of liver fluke. Animals can live with a surprising amount of fluke damage to the liver. Obviously bin the liver the rest of the carcass provided it is in good condition is safe to eat otherwise make the dogs happy. If you come across a liver like this again could you please photograph it and post for site members.
morena

liver fluke in different deer species

I found liver fluke in muntjac for the first time last week - photos to follow. Interestingly it appeared as if the 2 x adult flukes were encapsulated in a sort of cyst and the rest of the liver was unblemished and none of the other bile ducts were inflamed as has always been the case in my experience in other deer species e.g. roe and fallow.

Is this just a very light infection or do muntjac perhaps have a method of controlling the infection?

cervushunter said:
if this infection was liver fluke would it be ok to pass on into the human food chain?
i believe that recently i had a roe with a liver fluke problem the liver was moltled in colour and lumpy in texture when sliced open their were holes or tubes through it in which fluke were living(if they are fluke)
the beasties were between 10 to 15mm long 5mm wide .5mm thick and looked like a lemon sole(sea fish)!
the animal prior to being shot looked and reacted normal. although it was a little thin around the backbone and hips. the rest of the animal ie eyes ,mouth,feet,throat,intestines etc etc appeared normal.
PS i did not pass mine into the human food chain, my dogs ate it.

As nell said, yes it can go into the human food chain, but if its going to a game dealer, remember to note the fact it had fluke on thecarcass declaration.

Any liver so infested should be disgarded in a manner to be prevent being eaten by dogs ect....

Hello all , guessing this is liver fluke as well no speckles though just black , cut it open and was bloody and red blood ….. or if it’s not liver fluke what is it ? Both the MJ had this ….

thanks

Attachments

• DD043B93-3002-4028-8A59-C551F9B74450.jpeg
    DD043B93-3002-4028-8A59-C551F9B74450.jpeg
    462.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 80859A71-BCB9-4FB8-88E3-4CF64AC4660D.jpeg
    80859A71-BCB9-4FB8-88E3-4CF64AC4660D.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 96FE6475-2C06-490B-8E21-64BEA553CCAA.jpeg
    96FE6475-2C06-490B-8E21-64BEA553CCAA.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 2E1A33E4-528E-4706-8BEE-85AF28F9317A.jpeg
    2E1A33E4-528E-4706-8BEE-85AF28F9317A.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 78
I had a Doe through the larder yesterday and the livers were a little strainge.
One of the livers was normal colour with a few small dark spots on it, the other liver was dark black and speckly. When feeling them the normal one was hard and the dark one was squashy.

Otherwise the Doe was a belter of a Beast and seemed healthy.

What could this be ?.

Ads
When did they suddenly get 2 livers ?

2 kidneys ears balls antlers eyes 4 legs... :rolleyes:

Well ignore my comment, its only that it had the white speckles and next to the liver. i thought the spleen sat further back... Be surprised how many people i asked and a few have said liver... Thanks for not being trolls about that :)

Well ignore my comment, its only that it had the white speckles and next to the liver. i thought the spleen sat further back... Be surprised how many people i asked and a few have said liver... Thanks for not being trolls about that :)
After gutting hundreds of rabbits over the years you get to notice the tiny details as the parts are much smaller.. :tiphat:

We all have to learn somehow & u have now learned a wee bit more, well done for asking.
Every day a school day,as they say

Steve

Back