Another T8 or Jet Z Compact?

Dan Gliballs

I have a T8 moderator at the moment but recently I have notice a litle black pinhole appearing on it and its starting to get bigger, there is no shame to it, it must be 7 years old and still looks like new apart from this growing hole.

Yesterday I had a gentleman out on the hill that had a Jet Z Compact, I was fair taken with how much lighter it felt and its ability to quieten the shot for such as little thing.

From the brief encounter I had with it it seemed to be a little louder than the T8 but still perfectly acceptable.

Now that It looks like Im going to be buying another can do I stick with the T8 or go for the smaller lighter option of the Jet Z?

I've had a Jet-Z for years and despite being in regular use, still looks as good as the day I bought it. I must admit I've always found the Jet-Z slightly quieter than a T8, to my ear anyway, but I suppose it will depend what calibre you are using and what calibre the moderator is bored for.

You could well be right in regards to the noise difference, I didnt actually hear the moderator from behind the rifle, he was pretty much level with me when he shot the stag so I wouldve got it in the ear more.

i have one for the 270 got it secondhand for £200. there are lots about out there for same.
very well built mods. and as you say for there size make a big difference to noise and recoil also.

what calibre you putting it on ? if its 243 or 25/06 then get the one that go's upto 25/06.

if bigger then get the 30 cal one

I've just swapped from a T8 to a Jet-z on a .308, 'cos I was after something a bit less unwieldy. I will admit that I didn't really think the Jet-z would be able to match the performance of my old T8, but I have to say there's not much in it in terms of noise and recoil. They're pretty damn good for the size. I can see no reference to this either on their website or in the handbook it comes with, but according to the bloke in the shop they're parkerised inside as well as outside, so should never rust. I've only had 40-odd rounds through it on the range thus far, but so far I'm impressed.

I have a T8 moderator at the moment but recently I have notice a litle black pinhole appearing on it and its starting to get bigger, there is no shame to it, it must be 7 years old and still looks like new apart from this growing hole.
Dan, have a chat with Peter Jackson @ Jackson Rifles, he was doing a trade in on old T8 Mods,, money off a replacement. Dont know if this extends to other mods he deals in, worth a call tho! Had a T8, but now got a jet z compact, better quality mod, and makes the rifle seem to handle better!

imho its the a tec maxim, or the wildcat predator 8 compact and thats it period, spent to much money on the rest jmo though !!!

I've used both on a 6.5x55 and the Jet-Z is the best all round unit, although quite expensive. I use the .25 version as it is quieter than the .30 version, according to a test in Sporting Rfle. The only drawback is that it adds 6inches to the length of the gun.
regards

The Jet-Z comes out in the top two of every noise test done. It is built like a tank but seems to last longer than the T8. It is more expensive than a T* though.

Given the choice between the two i would buy a Jet-Z every time.

Simon

I have a T8, Pes and Jet z compact. I use the Jet z compact on my .300wsm and also on my .25-06. It tames the .300wsm a good bit. I favour the Jet z over the others because of its size and its solid. You get what you pay for!

Im thinking of getting a roe dale aluminium five baffle moderator for 6.5 anyone any experience of these?

Back