Garmin Astro 320/DC40

barongcw

I have just received the following answer from Garmin Europe on my question if these devices are legal in the UK.

"Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
I am happy to help with your query. I am afraid that the device is not
legal to use in the UK. They are not actually legal to use in Germany
either. I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause. Many
thanks."

Now that is what I call a bore.

What exactley is the problem??
confused on this one
you can purchase one legally and sell one legally plus it will work in the uk

Testicles, to be polite... the courts and jails are overflowing so name one police force that even know what a dog tracker is... GET A LIFE STALKERS????

"Tracks up to 10 dogs simultaneously" "at ranges up to 5 miles" ......... Wow! Sounds phenomenal.

"by line of sight only" ..... Hmmm, it's very hilly and/or undulating around here. Is this tool actually any better than much cheaper alternatives, in circumstances like mine?

For instance, our two way radios seldom work at ranges of more than 1km even though they're supposedly good for up to 5km.... and, I've never allowed a dog of mine to run more than a few of hundred metres from me, further than that I would call it a run away :) ... and, one has to bear in mind that here in Scotland, at any rate, we have laws requiring us to retain control of our dogs when in the countryside.

The Garmin is so low powered that i don't think it will make planes fall from the sky or make the NHS computers crash. With the standard antenna the range is about 1km double that with the longer forest antenna. I've got the antenna for mounting on the truck but not had to use that yet. The Garmin Astro is the most bought tracker in Sweden.

Garmin Astro

The frequency of these is supposed to interfere with the emergency services radio bands so a dim view is taken if you are caught using them.
Why put your FAC at risk as you will be prosecuted and you will end up with at the least a caution or fine.The Police will take the attitude that if you are willing to break one law what others are you willing to break.
put the dog on a long leash!!

The Garmin Astro 320 (USA) model operates on either 151.82MHz, 151.88MHz, 151.94MHz, 154.57MHz, or 154.60Mhz.

According to the Ofcom UK Frequency Allocation Table 2010
Ofcom | UK Frequency Allocation Table 2010 all of these fall within the Sonobuoys range of agreed frequencies (page 70) to which Annex E refers (page 208).

Annex E states that nothing is actually used between Channel No: 68 (149.5MHz) and Channel No: 78 (153.25MHz), thus reducing the possibility of “interference” if someone used any of the three 151MHz frequencies.

The two 154MHz Astro frequencies fall between Channels 81 (154.375MHz) and Channel 82 (154.75MHz) where there is a possibility of “interference”.

However in saying that, as Sonobuoys operating below 162MHz (during peacetime exercises) would not be deployed within 50 miles of the United Kingdom coast (note 1a in Annex E), I am not sure what the actual problem would be, should someone on mainland UK use an American Version of the Garmin Astro?

The frequency of these is supposed to interfere with the emergency services radio bands so a dim view is taken if you are caught using them.
Why put your FAC at risk as you will be prosecuted and you will end up with at the least a caution or fine.The Police will take the attitude that if you are willing to break one law what others are you willing to break.
put the dog on a long leash!!

Bravo Kit. You got the point. Why risk your FAC.

As for the long lead you remember we discussed the Hetze at the NGO Dogs4Deer?

The Garmin Astro 320 (USA) model operates on either 151.82MHz, 151.88MHz, 151.94MHz, 154.57MHz, or 154.60Mhz.

According to the Ofcom UK Frequency Allocation Table 2010
Ofcom | UK Frequency Allocation Table 2010 all of these fall within the Sonobuoys range of agreed frequencies (page 70) to which Annex E refers (page 208).

Annex E states that nothing is actually used between Channel No: 68 (149.5MHz) and Channel No: 78 (153.25MHz), thus reducing the possibility of “interference” if someone used any of the three 151MHz frequencies.

The two 154MHz Astro frequencies fall between Channels 81 (154.375MHz) and Channel 82 (154.75MHz) where there is a possibility of “interference”.

However in saying that, as Sonobuoys operating below 162MHz (during peacetime exercises) would not be deployed within 50 miles of the United Kingdom coast (note 1a in Annex E), I am not sure what the actual problem would be, should someone on mainland UK use an American Version of the Garmin Astro?

Wow. That is what I call knowledge.
But I guess that if somebody gets caught, unlikely I agree, with the US version in the UK and the prosecuting police ask Garmin they will get the answer I got and you might loose your license.
A very small change this happens but people ought to know.

As an add-on to this thread and a possible way around frequency issues.

Has anyone considered using the Garmin GTU-10 tracking device in conjunction with a Smartphone? Looking at the spec it appears to have several features that might make it suitable for use as as a field dog tracking device - provided of course you are operating in an area with coverage. The Garmin Tracker app for the Smartphone will also allow comparison of your current position with the device's using Google Maps and not just find the location. Claimed life of the rechargeable battery also looks to be sufficient at 20/24 hours at 30sec reporting intervals, up to 4 weeks plus for the 'on demand' setting - all functions can be changed/edited 'on the fly' via the Smartphone.

There's a subscription to be paid for the service but the first year is included in whatever you can buy it for. Could be of interest maybe?

http://reviews.cnet.com/gps-kits/garmin-gtu-10/4505-9337_7-34488125.html?tag=mncol;rvwBody

Back