Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to tell the neighbours

What to tell the neighbours

One of my neighbours commented to my wife that they thought we were rushing off to hospital when they heard me drive off at 5:30 on a Sunday morning (the wife is heavily pregnant). All my wife could say was that I went out early to 'look at some animals' (not that I saw any ).

Thankfully the conversation stopped there with a reply of 'oh, that's nice'. Just wondering what other people do, just come clean, say it loud, say it proud: 'I stalk deer, so I have to get up inexplicably early on a Sunday morning!'

Or should I be stealthier and say park around the corner so no one hears me leave? When I go target shooting, I tend to make sure no one is around when I load and unload the car, or at least wait until their back is turned! I also haven't had to explain away any 6:30 departures.

Simple tell them your out deerstalking as a mater of a cull plan for the deer own benifit then ask them if they would like some venison steaks .My nabours all eat it and have no probs with what id do .

I don't have any problems I live in a rural area with lots of shoots around so it is quite a 'normal' occurance.
    I could see it being a problem if you live in a built up area with a lot of 'anti's'.
    It doesn't bother me if I get seen loading up the car to go stalking

6.5 is right, my neighbours know i am a stalker because they eat the venison!

I Myself have also been very lucky on the neighbour front, as I live out on a rural road but still only about 1 mile out of the Village, my neighbours are about 300m away on one side & they have a small 40 acre farm that runs alongside & with land also to the rear of my garden which also has an old wooded railway embankment 200m below the garden & the other side neighbours are 200m further up the road.

I have a long narrow garder which is 450ft long & not only did I get permission to stalk the Roe on their ground but they were also happy for me to put a 100m range in my garden to test zero the rifles with as the land below the garden is unused.

We built a bank & used back to back railway sleepers dug into it & that stops anything I ever intend to use, so that no round ever escapes the garden & beyond is the 20ft embankment anyway.

Even the old 270wsm does not get through the 2nd sleeper let alone the earth bank.

The land beyond has a few good Roe on it & I tend to only take 3/4 each season as its just a nice place to go & sit out now & again in a highseat to overlook the wooded embankment on a Sunday afternoon before the roast dinner!

I am fourtunate in that I have an open ticket & always use a moderated rifle, I never do kick the ass out of it & just use the range to check the rifles now & again when they need it.

Had I not told the neighbours then I would not have any of this I guess.

I guess should consider myself pretty lucky in the Neighbour dept?

Regards Lee

I have lived in my house for 13+ years and have never had any reason to hide what i do, in fact i go out of my way to tell people what i do. If i was to get any negative feed back then tough for them, i would just fight my corner. There has been many a time when people have seen me with a deer slung over my shoulder from out of the car. My direct neighbour is a member of RSPB, English nature and one or 2 others. He knows what i do and has to my knowledge never had a problem with it.

Be proud of what you do, if you hide it then to my mind you must feel that you shouldn`t be doing it.

I think you will be surprised at what reactions that you get, and that is mostly positive, because if nothing else, it`s a conversation starter.

Good hunting

I whip the guns in and out quickly because I don't want some of the people round where I live knowing I have guns in the house. If a neighbour or someone I know asks I might tell them I stalk, target shoot, or clay pigeon shoot (all of whch are correct) depending on the mood I'm in and whether I can bothered with an argument.

In urban areas you need to be more discrete - not becasue of neighbours disapproving, who cares about that, but becasue of drugs gangs.

I live in a suburban cul-de-sac, so most of the neighbours including me are basically townies although we're not exactly far from the countryside.

Well, I'll probably just cross that bridge when I get to it, I won't lie. I'm not ashamed in any way, I just tend to avoid confrontation. From a not-being-burgled point of view, the fewer people that know, the better. I've taken my fair share of crap from being a pistol shooter in '97...

All my neighbors are fine about my hunting except the old boy opposite. He hates what i do. I`ve had my shotgun for years and one morning after i had been lamping i was unloading the rabbits out of my car and in no uncertain terms he told me what he thought.
    Hearing this i crossed the road to his gate and told him if not to shout me down in the street as what i do is fully legal and if he wants to discuss it then let`s talk in private. He walked away muttering to himself. As he got to his door i shouted to him that if you wanted to talk legal / illegal, you`re tax disc is out of date!!
    I do try to be discreet about unloading animal carcases and guns from my vehicle though.

I would never hide it. I count myself as a "normal" person, and as such promote the fact that stalking/culling is done by "normal" people. If no one sticks up for the sport., then there is an open door for " antis" false properganda....just like hunting with hounds. Yes some "posh" people do it, but the majority of followers/supporters are "normal" people. As for the answers about gangs/and not wanting people to know you have guns...very sensible. Like I said, I tell people I stalk, not that I keep firearms in the house.