Dilemma?

VSS

Let's say that you and a friend each have a litter of gundog pups, by the same sire. Your friend really wanted to keep a bitch pup, but unfortunately his litter are all dogs. Therefore you do a swap, a bitch pup from your litter for a dog from his. It seems a fair deal. If anything your friend is better off, as bitches are worth a little more (and he's got what he wants). You decide to keep the dog pup on, and, as your 10-year-old daughter is taking a keen interest you let her rear him.
One year later, you take the young dog for a day out at a local game fair, and your daughter enters him in a few simple competitions. Someone sees him, takes a fancy, and offers you a good price. You accept, and, feeling proud of your daughter for her efforts, you let her keep the money. Your friend is also at the fair, hears of the deal, and seems pleased.

(I should add that the friend is a landowner, over whose ground you have permission to shoot and to take paying clients. You pay a reasonable rent for the permission, but do not have long term security of tenure.)

A few days later, friend contacts you, clearly annoyed that you haven't offered him any of the money. A week passes before you see him again, by which time he is seriously angry, verging on abusive, and tells you that unless you pass on a cut of the proceeds of the sale of the dog you can clear off his land with immediate effect!

What do you do? Take some money off a 10-year-old girl, just to keep the peace?

This is a true scenario that I currently find myself in, although I've changed the details a bit to make it more relevant to SD members, ie, the animals in question weren't actually gundogs, and I don't take out paying clients. However, I do depend on access to that land for a fair proportion of my livelihood.

Would welcome some comments and advice on how to handle this...

(PS, the "dog" sold for approx 20 times the value of the "puppy")

personally i would tell him boll0ck5... he was happy with the swap 12 months ago and thats it as far as i'm concerned... what would have happened if the 'dog' had some health problems and ran up huge vet bills, would he be so forth coming with offers of help with paying? i doubt it....

regards, Jez.

I did ask him if he'd have come offering me money if it had died or been sold at a loss, but didn't get a very clear answer to that.
Tempted to tell him where to go, but can't really afford to lose the ground.
I find it a bit disconcerting that he's putting so much pressure on me to extract money from a child!!!

Is this bloke for real, with friends like him who needs enemy's send him a bill for the bitch plus training and feeding the dog.

I would have thought that the deal having been agreed and done all ownership of the "dog" would be yours to do with as you like. I now would love to know what the "dog" really is reason being that if I had a ten year old daughter who had raised and cherished a "dog" for a year she would probably not be best pleased if at the first opportunity of gaining a few quid I sold her "dog". But going back the "dog" being yours to sell it would be you who was the benefactor of the sale. What you then did with the proceeds of the sale would be up to you. You chose to give the money to your daughter. Fair enough, but having done so, if and I mean if, somebody else did have a claim on the cash raised from the sale it would be from you and would not really be trying to extract it from a child. That statement is looking for sympathy. Sell her "dog" take money back from her - be ashamed. :D
Having reached where you are with this landowner I just cannot see anything going back to how it was.

Last edited:
Hate to say it mate but youre stuck in a real shite of a position there,if you really depend on the land I see you with no option but to pay him off to keep the peace ( even though you may still think hes a ****** ) then hit the land hard to get your money back and maybe even take out a few clients as friends.

The chap knew full well that the "pup" had been given to my daughter, and knew full well that if / when it was sold she would get the cash. He was happy with that, for a whole year.
Then it fetched an unbelievably high price, and he suddenly feels that he's got some prior claim on it.

(BTW, my daughter is not bothered at all by selling her pet! This is the same child that helped me kill and cut up for the freezer an orphan lamb she reared!)

I assume the animal in question is not a dog. If you are dependent on thus guy for your living, you might have to suck this up. However, you have had a lesson as to his true character.

I would find a way to recoup my losses though. The bastid would pay for it one way or another.

This is a difficult one because your not being totally honest. It would depend what , who and why and as it is all clouded in secrecy there may be many differant answers.

You have 3 choices 1. you take the moral high ground and tell him politely that he is not having any of the money as it is not his to have and see what happens. 2. You pay him and then get it back some how from him with out him knowing it was you. 3. You tell him to stick it up his ar$e and put your time into finding other work.

However things will never be the same after this so your on a hiding anyway.

Mark

sounds like this bloke has a hold over you and is jealous that you made a few quid personally id tell him to do one and find somewhere else to shoot friendship is not a one sided thing on the other hand business is business you need to make a living most people dont like the people they work for till pay day stu

Iif the " dog" sold for twenty times the price of the "puppy" give your so called friend the price of the " puppy" just to keep the peace, it will probably stick in your throat, but hey, what goes around comes around.

Guy seems utterly unreasonable. Several choices open to you. 1. Tell him where to go and look for alternative shooting. 2. Give him some money as it is insignificant compared to what you earn of his land. Careful though as this may set future behavours. 3. Has your " dog " cost you anything over the last year ? If he wants some money it is only reasonable that he contributes towards any costs 4. What are his intentions with your " dog " as, according to him, you would be entitled to a portion of any money he made by sale or associated services.

Good luck, it's not good when money comes between friends. But if he is prepared to go this far was he worth having as a friend anyway ?

tell him to get to fooooooooook,its like seeling your car t o a dealer and if he makes a profit on it you ask him for a cut..what a noob

If you pay him any money at all then make sure you do it with a long term contract for the shooting rights. He's clearly not quite right in the head and could easily take your money and kick you off the land the very next day. I'm talking legal contracts not fag packet stuff. If he doesn't sign and says that he is kicking you off anyway as you clearly don't trust him don't for one minute think it was because of the contract, you were going anyway and he thought that he could put one over on you on your way out!

Last edited:
Iif the " dog" sold for twenty times the price of the "puppy" give your so called friend the price of the " puppy" just to keep the peace, it will probably stick in your throat, but hey, what goes around comes around.

He had the price of the puppy - and more - in kind, when we did the swap.

Guy seems utterly unreasonable. Several choices open to you. 1. Tell him where to go and look for alternative shooting. 2. Give him some money as it is insignificant compared to what you earn of his land. Careful though as this may set future behavours. 3. Has your " dog " cost you anything over the last year ? If he wants some money it is only reasonable that he contributes towards any costs 4. What are his intentions with your " dog " as, according to him, you would be entitled to a portion of any money he made by sale or associated services.

Good luck, it's not good when money comes between friends. But if he is prepared to go this far was he worth having as a friend anyway ?

I used the word "unreasonable" last time we spoke, and his reply was "I'll show you how unreasonable I can be" and told me I'd be quitting the land!
He's clearly got really worked up over this, and I can't quite see why. It was definitely a fair exchange at the time, and yes, the animal has cost me a fair bit to keep and rear for the past year, not to mention mine and daughters time.

The high price was totally unexpected - I still can't quite believe it.

I think I have worked this riddle out and if I'm correct I think you have to try to sort this out unless you can do a deal with another land owner quite quickly and on decent length contract this time. Glad I don't have 'friends' like him!

Personally I would way up the benefit of the ground compared to how much you need to throw at your so called mate
Then I would also look at other options and grounds where you can start afresh
As this mate/landowner is treating you as a ****
Not as a mate
For that he needs no respect just like he has shown you and your daughter
Pay if you really hav to but never do a deal with him again as all that will happen is he will treat you as dirt regardless
Sorry situ I know and wish you the best

This guy is nothing more than a bully and there is only one way to deal with these creatures. He has clearly seen this as investment so send him an invoice for the value of his contribution towards the costs, time and financial, you have incured over the last 12 months and wait for his response. If he's not prepared to support his investment why should he benefit from any sale ?

If he has told you that you have lost the shooting why on earth would you pay him anything anyway ?

To be honest it sounds like you and your daughter are better off away from this moron. Good luck.

This guy is nothing more than a bully and there is only one way to deal with these creatures. He has clearly seen this as investment so send him an invoice for the value of his contribution towards the costs, time and financial, you have incured over the last 12 months and wait for his response. If he's not prepared to support his investment why should he benefit from any sale ?

If he has told you that you have lost the shooting why on earth would you pay him anything anyway ?

To be honest it sounds like you and your daughter are better off away from this moron. Good luck.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. Basically, unless I give him a share then I'm chucked off the land.

Back