Another Nice North American Whitetail.

Muir

My brother has this knack of running across nice whitetail bucks above the river that runs through his land. He took this one today with his trusty 7x57 custom and a 139 grain Hornady Spire point. The range was 240 yards and one shot was all it took.(Pure dumb luck!) The rack measured 16.5" across at it's widest point. Not a huge deer but a nice one. ~Muir
Whitetaildaddeer20083.jpg

Nice buck!

Forgive my ignorance, but is that white tape around the antler?

Thanks guys, I'll pass it on. I never should have built that 7x57 for him. After 30 years he's finally learning how to shoot it! It's interesting to note that he has just started reloading for this rifle over the last 5 years or so. Now he wouldn't consider factory ammo.~Muir

Now look at brother Charlie all pretty looking, whose the man in the hat :D :D Where was that bloody thing a few weeks back when you were there.

John

Muir

Nice buck, but I have to ask what is that interesting attachment to your brothers testicle area :confused:

Max

Beats the hell out of me! I blew it up and it looks like his dragging rope. I'll have to ask. I'd hate to think he was ...you know... attached to that deer :eek: ~Muir

That's a nice buck!

Judging from the brow tines, mass of main beams and G2's and G3's, looks like he could be 3 or 4 years old, which in the US is quite old (only the really smart ones survive that long).

The piece of white on the antler could be the tag, as some states require that bucks be tagged around the antlers.

drags

Muir,
It might be best to ask your brother not to drag a deer using a rope tied around his "tackle"

swampy

Muir, pressure is on eh,.
we want to see a pic of you with a buck now.
I presume you have a rifle apart from the hornet. :lol:
edi

That I do! In truth though, I don't shoot bucks. Our hunting season is generally in the months of October/November when the rut is high. I don't appreciate the gamey nature of the meat from a big buck in full rut; especially mule deer. They are particularly awful. Because I'd rather have 80 pounds of sweet doe in the freezer instead of 150 pounds of rank buck, I stick to does. My brother loves big racks. This white tail isn't as big as the one he got last season; nor is it as big as the one he donated to his local Game Fish and Parks Department for display, but it's a nice buck. He lives in Deer Country, USA. We have big mule deer here but few whitetails in my locale.

I did find out what the "equipment" is in the photo. It is from the drag line to a small disc-shaped game sled. He just swung the deer off for the photo. You can see the leather strap inside his vest in the photo.

My Mother will be relieved it wasn't attached elsewhere! ;) ~Muir

Muir, does/hinds are just as good. I also prefer to go after does.
Started my doe season a bit late this year. It was ****ing rain today so we had to go into cover. Took these two sika hinds at 50yds off the shoulder . No great shot placement, but hey... a 308.
These two are in great condition.
edi
DSCN2008.jpg

Back