Update your Stakling CERTIFICATE NOW!

Trapper

MAY/ OR SHOULD BE OF INTEREST!
Page 13 .B.A.S.C Non/Dec issue are you BUFF or BLUE! read it this is not a **** take, honest.
Trapper(FOR NON b.a.s.c.) BORROW A COPY! :lol: :lol:

I changed mine the other day didnt want my LEV 1-2 to become useless for the sake of a few pound,s.
15 ;)
YOU CAN MOAN ABOUT IT BUT GET IT DONE,

This is the relevant extract from the the magazine,

Following the change to food hygiene regulations in 2005, holders of older DSC Level 1 certificates (coloured buff) have been able to convert their certificates to include “trained hunter” status for large game. But DMQ, who manage the award, say that this will not be possible after 31st March 2009. No application for conversion after this date will be accepted.
All DSC 1 certificates issued after 1st January 2006 (coloured blue) indicate that the holder is also designated a “trained hunter” (for large game only) under the food hygiene regulations, this means that you can sell any game that you may have shot.
Up to the 31st March 2009 all applications should be addressed to DMQ, Marford Mill, Rossett, Wrexham LL12 0HI.

I am happy to say that in contradiction of my usual style, I did mine a couple of years back.

John

i have my original bds nscc, they wont change that for me, been told i have to do it all again, money grabbers!!!!!

I thought they were letting them get changed or has this stopped for a reason.

I cant remember the dates, it may have been early 2000. The rights to move the NSCC over to the DMQ 1 were stopped years ago. Sadly it is something that we have to keep on top of so that we stay current. :cry:

J

This is exactly why I refuse to get dragged into this stupid certification thing :evil:
I really like the idea of learning all the stuff on the dsc but the cost's and arses that run it get me hot under the collar, same reason I told the law society to stick the LPC at sevral K.. :mad:
I do very nicely without it thank you :lol:

I had a letter from them sometime ago telling me to sign a declaration that I had read the meat hygiene requirements :rolleyes: and then to send them £15 and I would have my Level 1 upgraded. As I have Level 2 I though that it would have applied more to that certificate than Level 1 as there is no larder work required in Level 1.

All the same bloody con!! if you ask me, more bull**** than you find in a cow yard. And despite what many say on here, people are still paying over the odds to gain their Level 2. Although you do NOT need an AW to witness all three stalks/deer. Two of them can be witnessed by someone who has gained Level 2.

And please do not tell me that AW's should do all three :evil: :evil: as they have the experience, some of the ones I have met in the past certainly did not.

Sikamalc,

In fairness the BDS/BASC/DMQ did not introduce the "Trained Hunter" requirement, this is more Government red tape foisted on us by our friends in Europe.

What the BDS/BASC/DMQ did do is find various ways of satisfying the new requirement by one of three different methods.

a) Stand alone Trained Hunter meat hygiene course. This is a one day course covering both the large and small game requirements. Cost about £130 IIRC

b) They modified the DMQ Level 1 certificate course contents so it meets the LANTRA requirements and is industry recognized to do so...No additional cost to the Level 1

c) They negotiated with LANTRA, and other Government bodies, a way for people to upgrade their old Level 1 to the new standard. Cost £15.

As Government regulations pretty much insist on people holding the status of Trained Hunter if they wish to sell game to a Game Handling Establishment, I think BASC and BDS have done a pretty good job of responding to this requirement so we can meet these regulations with the minimum of pain.

Whether the £130 and £15 is perceived to be value for money for those particular options is a different matter. Personally I think £130 for a days course is expensive, and I am not sure if that includes the Lantra registration fee either???

Having said that, somebody I work with is paying £180 to go on a days cookery course at some minor TV celebrity chef's cookery school, which I think is expensive but he thinks is good value, so maybe i am just a cheap skate!

Regards,

Pete

Sika,
you are quite correct. Someone with a level 2 can act as a Credible Witness for 2 stalks, then an AW does the third. A good way to reduce costs for a candidate. This is only good if the AW agrees with the Credible Witness. It effectively gets rid of mates just going through the motions and in my opinion gives a better chance of success as there are different names on the paperwork. Therefor, giving a better success rate for good candidates as an assessor should find it more difficult to rubbish 2 witnesses rather than 1. :p

J

jingzy said:
This is only good if the AW agrees with the Credible Witness.

jingzy said:
Therefor, giving a better success rate for good candidates as an assessor should find it more difficult to rubbish 2 witnesses rather than 1.

jingzy,

Can you explain exactly what you mean by those statements? I don't understand where in the process of doing your Leve2 you need to get an AW to agree with a "credible witness"?? All an AW does is witness a particular stalk and fill in the paperwork...Its not his role to cast judgement on any other part of the Candidates portfolio..

As regards the Assessor, whether dealing with the paperwork from an AW or a CW he will usually question the person with regards the circumstances of the stalk ect and standards they marked the candidate against. So if either fall short, its likely the candidate will have to do another witnessed stalk.

Leaving their knowledge of deer lore out of it for a moment, I would expect an AW to do a better job of filling in the paperwork than a CW, simply because the AW should be more familiar with the system and whats required, and not make any procedural errors ect...

Regards,

Pete

PS thats not me endorsing AW's charging the earth to carry out witnessing; I am as much against that as many others on here..

I must be OK !

NSCC dated 24th. June 1984.

Buff DMQ.1 dated 1st. Jan. 1998.

NVQ. Unit of credit, Cull Deer Module. Dated 18th Jan. 1999.
Buff DMQ.2 dated 13th MAY 1999.

Accepted as AW for DMQ. 2nd. July 1999. [ Resigned following open heart surgery in 2003. ]

Cert. of Competence of Inspection in Deer Carcases and Meat Hygiene. [National Trust / Arun District Council.] 20th Feb. 2001.

Blue DMQ.1 dated 1st.Jan. 2006.

HWH.

When will it all end, but it has been fun trying and succeeding !

Isnt it amazing how many coloured forms, certificates and awards there are out there for telling people they can stalk and manage deer.

Funny we never needed any of these when I started 30 years ago, and it didnt cost you the earth either :confused: Now it appears that everything in life needs a piece of paper, with rules and regulations governing everything we do in our sport, mostly made up by faceless idiots in Whitehall or the EU.

God help us if we have many more :rolleyes:

Stag 1933, I assume you have enough then to repaper the living room wall !!! :lol: :lol:

NAHH !!
All the certs are in a large brown envelope.
My walls are festooned with antlers and horns.
I shot my first Deer in 1961, an adult Red switch stag.

HWH.

Yes Pete, no problem.

No 1. What I was trying to say was, if a stalker gets a mate to be the Credible Witness and that person is leniant and just goes through the motions, then when an AW turns up to do the final stalk and he doesen't think the person has the correct knowledge or makes mistakes, then when the paperwork finally reaches the Assessor, the AW report will effectively rubbish that of the Credible Witness.

No 2. If you have an AW that does 3 stalks, then this is fine and not a problem, however, it is one persons opinion. This could give the Assessor good reason to go through the portfolio more stringenly. If you then have a portfolio with 2 or 3 AW's, then it is more difficult for an Assessor to rubbish that portfolio as there are already 3 people making judgement on 1 persons ability to stalk and provide a good carcass.

Hope this helps.

J

Back