Thread: Not always about the shooting

Not always about the shooting

Well, having returned from a weekend in Scotland unsuccessfully for the stags and bucks i had a very memorable experience and just goes to show you don’t have to pull the trigger to enjoy yourself, seeing something makes the trip worth while.
    Having started the journey only to miss the turning for the M6 was an omen, never mind.
    We arrived at our ground just as the light was beginning to break i picked my spot and proceeded to make may way up a ride, a part i must admit no one likes stalking I can’t imagine why as i always see deer signs. Anyway, a few steps in glassing as i go i just catch a glimpse of something in the corner of my eye, but it’s early and everything looks like a deer at 7.15 and having just driven 6hours ready to go.
    Anyway I’m fixated at this point and then I see a doe calmly walk right in front of me about 20 yards or so, so I freeze and just stand there, then I hear a feep, feep, feep then a kid comes from the area where I saw the movement and both just stood there doing nothing.
    I can honestly say what an experience it was and if I had my camera probably would have had just as much enjoyment taking a picture if not more that the actual shot.
    I like to think I’m doing something right if I can see an get in close to the animals so time will tell when i get the chance for another beast.
    Last edited by gelert; 10-10-2011 at 23:22.

Nice to know others think the same if you look at my photo gallery you will see one similer good on ye

Absolutely what it should all be about.
    Stalking and Courses
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at Kelso, Scone & Moy 2016

Good on you buddy, I spent the last days of last years Roe buck on a ground down in Shropshire with not a sign of a buck anywhere but I did sit on the side of a river bank watching an Otter looking for crayfish walk right past me at about ten feet made up for not seeing a buck. Being out and about amongst it is what its all about not just pulling the trigger.
    Last edited by Leon; 11-10-2011 at 09:59.

Know what u mean sat against a tree watching a buck and 2 does a couple of years back they got to within 4 yds ofme before the wind swung round abit and they were gone in an instant something i will never forget
    Save Water Drink Single Malt

As Dame Juliana Berners said many hundreds of years ago,"piscator non solum piscatur". Translated, "there is more to fishing than catching fish". The same goes for stalking.

What is this life if full of care
    We have no time to stand and stare?
    No time to stand beneath the boughs
    And stare as long as sheep, or cows.
    No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
    No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
    No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance.
    No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began.
    A poor life this, if full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.

William Henry Davies 1871 - 1940

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

The perfect weeknd , nice post . ATB

Absolutely spot on!

The OP really highlights what I have always said about shooting! It's not all about shooting everything you see, it is more about appreciating your surroundings and learning from what you see - And it is surprising what even the most experienced of stalkers can learn from just watching and listening occasionally.
    As far as I am concerned taking a successful shot is just a bonus that adds to the whole experience!
    I'm gald you thoroughly enjoyed your experience gelert!

The shot for me is mearly a biproduct of a day out and matters not these days .