A very sad story

Pretty tragic story indeed. My first reaction was that they should lock him up and throw away the key. However as soon as you take the whole story into account it's clear he is a man who will suffer indefinitely.

Brithunter, I'm new to the forum does you last post mean nobody is allowed to comment?

Unfortunately familiarity can breed contempt. Very sad for the dogs, hopefully the handler will never forgive himself.

Simon

I could perhaps sympathise, were it not for this comment in the story:

The court was told a one-year-old spaniel died in Craven’s care in almost identical circumstances in July 2004.

Very sad for the dogs and the people who tried to rescue them but as the article says he has got form for this with a young spaniel so perhaps jail should have been the outcome.

A very sad story indeed, but a couple of points to bear in mind;
Firstly at the time one of the national newspapers reported that by having the dogs with him (not at home) he was entitled to a higher hourly rate of pay. (how true this is I do not know) but I do know the dogs did not have to attend the meeting with him.
Secondly his car was parked outside a police dog training centre (would you not think they would have kennels there? even if they didnt leaving those dogs in a car in a heatwave was never an option)
Thirdly how many times does this man need to cause the death of his dogs before he learns his lesson.
I realise my above comments may sound like I'm plod bashing, but I cant help but wonder if for example if I broke one of the conditions on my FAC because I was on 'auto-pilot' how much sympathy would I receive from the police?

A very sad story indeed, but a couple of points to bear in mind;
Firstly at the time one of the national newspapers reported that by having the dogs with him (not at home) he was entitled to a higher hourly rate of pay. (how true this is I do not know) but I do know the dogs did not have to attend the meeting with him.
Secondly his car was parked outside a police dog training centre (would you not think they would have kennels there? even if they didnt leaving those dogs in a car in a heatwave was never an option)
Thirdly how many times does this man need to cause the death of his dogs before he learns his lesson.
I realise my above comments may sound like I'm plod bashing, but I cant help but wonder if for example if I broke one of the conditions on my FAC because I was on 'auto-pilot' how much sympathy would I receive from the police?

Breech a condition on your licence either FAC or Shotgun and you will get hammered even though conditions as far as I can find out are not law. They are something dreamt up by the firearms licensing department to further their agenda. Laws are made and passed by parliment conditions are not.

I was technically in breech of a condition and got fined £85 however the Police will now use it to deny my renewal for an unspecified amount of time.

Lets hope the RSPCA appeal the decision and they secure a custodiual sentence. Another shining example of the law working in mysterious ways;)

A few years back a stray greyhound was put into a kennel at Dalkeith police station and forgotten about, until 10 days later the smell of decomposing dog stunk the place out. Terribly wrong and all that, but humans are fallible and sadly sh!t does happen. The bit that sent my eyebrows north was that there had obviously been a 10 day period without a routine security inspection/check of all parts of the station.

A certain Glasgow police station (pre-dating the above incident) had a "Dogometer" within the bar indicating how many dogs they had dubbed up.

I agree, this is a very sad situation for all involved.

BUT, if it were an accident that happenned to me, I would probably be posting this from a cell now..........

At Scone Palace Gamefair this July, there were 4 tannoy announcements on the Saturday I was there regarding cars with dogs left in them, on one of the very few hot days we had this summer. It was the local police who were going around with stewards trying to spot vehicles with dogs left in them. It got to the point that the girl passing the message was stopping just short of verbally abusing the idiots who did it. One announcement stated the police had forced entry to rescue the dogs. Potentially 4 deaths prevented in one day at a single event. How many times has it happened across the country but not reported on?

I am not excusing what this cop did especially as it had happened before with him, but lets keep things in perspective here, it is not just members of the police who can be so stupid...

Back