Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: maximum distance

maximum distance

Hi all, i'm just starting out stalking and was wondering what you'd say to be the maximum distance, you'd shoot at a deer. I havn't mentioned with what calibre and which species, i'd just like to hear people's views.

Hello Barney, welcome! I can see a can of worms with no lid on it regarding this thread.. How long is a piece of string..!?

Stalking is the name of the game so as close as you can get or need to get to take a humane shot.. Just because you shoot a deer at 200yds doesnt mean you havent stalked it.. Thats my sweeping statement for the night, now wheres that tin hat?!

I hear that most deer are shot at 40m or less

HHMMMM. I shoot every week from now until March, and I will shoot at ranges from 30yds out to 275yds. BUT I know the ground like the back of my hand and the ranges all over it, also how my rifle shoot over those ranges. So my responce would be "know your strengths, but it's more important to know your weaknesses". Only ever shoot within "your" capabilities.

P.S. I stalk Fallow, so a large target. Also use a .243.

I dunno really, like the above mentions how longs a peice of string. I'd say if you where having to even consider aiming off it's probably to far. Ground dependant I'd probably shoot up to 250 yards max with the .270, no more than 100yards with the .243 for Reds but would push that out for Roe. And my little .222 I've never shot anything further than around the 80 yard mark. But forgetting calibre's for a minute I'd try and get as close as I could, that's what it's all about, but 200yards in some cases might be as close a you can get.
    Last edited by aliS; 13-10-2011 at 22:19.

It depends is the short answer. The longer answer is it depends on lots of things. Factors that spring to mind include:

How vital is it to shoot? Is there a FC cull plan to meet?
    What time of day is it? If it's am, then it will get lighter if I need to go looking for a beast.
    What is the weather like? I stalked some hinds in a snowstorm once and went home without shooting.
    How windy is it?
    What rifle have I with me? I prefer to have the 260 with me if it's a sika stag that I am after.
    Can I get into a stable position to shoot? Ideally prone with the bipod.
    If I need to, will the terrain allow me to take follow up shots?
    How much cover is there?
    Am I going to shoot uphill or downhill?
    Am I woodland stalking or open hill stalking?
    Am I stalking alone?
    What effort is going to be involved in extracting anything I shoot?

There's a world of difference between a summer morning's roe buck stalking and going out in the wind and rain on a dark January morning after hinds. I have certainly walked away from hinds in the winter as I couldn't get close enough without disturbing the whole herd. To me it's not just the distance to the deer that's the issue, but a whole range of factors. What works one day, may not work the next day.

Regards JCS

As I mostly shoot woodland , the range is from 70-100yds. (243) but will on the odd occasion shoot out to the 150yd mark.

It all comes down to knowing one's limits and capability.

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

As a non experienced stalker I know my abilities and that of my rifle out to 150 yards. Beyond that I would lose confidence so personally 150 yards is my limit.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Twenty yards with a .22LR and 350 yards with a .308 Norma Magnum. All other calibers and cartridge are somewhere in between: decidedly closer than farther.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    no more than 100yards with the .243 for Reds but would push that out for Roe.
    I am genuinely curious, why is that?