Roe Deer & Sheep: How long to give it??

rigboot

Gents,

On my local ground there has been a good number of sheep on a particularly productive beat for Roe deer.

Since the sheep took up residence the Roe took off.

Now the sheep have gone after a few months but the ground is still pretty bad with sheep scat, so realistically, when do you reckon I should start seeing more Roe around.

I have guestimated about 6-8 weeks to let things settle and give the ground time to recover but whats your findings? Am I in the ball park for timescale??

Cheers

Rb

I am not an expert, but depending on the quality of the feeding it could be as little as 3-5 days.

Reds seems to be quicker to get over it,you can occasionally see them in the same field as stock, although they seem to resent cattle less!

Rgds

H

I am not an expert, but depending on the quality of the feeding it could be as little as 3-5 days.

Reds seems to be quicker to get over it,you can occasionally see them in the same field as stock, although they seem to resent cattle less!

Rgds

H

Hi all,

I know it goes against the collective wisdom but have frequently seen ( as recently as two weeks ago) Roe sharing the same field as sheep (at the same time) both here in Fife and in Tayside. Strangely though I have never witnessed this on other ground that I have been on in Argyll and in Moray or Highland region. Perhaps deer density and human intervention also play a part.

Rgds

Remmy7

agree with herne had it on my own ground when sheep move out of a field/hill roe can be back in very quickly and i,ve quite often got red feeding alongside the cattle even had a wee buck that grazed all the time with a stag right beside him when the sheep moved out of a wee hill park every time the stag moved a few yards buck went with him

Thanks for the replies and your thoughts gents.
I had a wander round some of the ground for two evenings and one early morning.
Happy to report the Roe have moved back into a few fields, a few does in last night and a lovely buck was out this a.m.
Much quicker than anticipated so all good.
Cheers
Rbk

Roe do not read the books as in previous posts roe will mix with sheep they my not be keen but they will tolerate them .and has you have found will soon move back if sheep are removed even quicker if it rains a lot and cleans the ground.

Roe do not read the books as in previous posts roe will mix with sheep they my not be keen but they will tolerate them .and has you have found will soon move back if sheep are removed even quicker if it rains a lot and cleans the ground.

Makes sense roedeerred, it has been really wet this past fortnight, very few days without rain so the this must have helped clean up no end.

While I'm aware deer aren't keen on the company of sheep, I've frequently seen them sharing the same ground both Reds in Cheshire, where they cross and browse on sheep farmland, also in the borders from Hawick through to Galloway, where Roe and Red may be seen on the ground where sheep are.
Naturally enough, if you're unfortunate enough to get sheep between you and whatever you're stalking.....well, that really is a bitch!
Cheers, :old:

Back