is this what you guys call an open ticket ?

Scots_stalker

the conditions on my FAC have been changed , the names of my grounds have been removed and it now reads like this

The undernoted firearms and ammunition including expanding ammunition or missiles of such ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for the purposes specifiied including zeroing namely 22IN CZ RIMFIRE BOLT ACTION AND MODERATOR for shooting vermin ,

233 TIKKA BOLT ACTION for shooting roe deer and vermin
243 TIKKA BOLT ACTION AND MODERATOR AND 308 RIFLE BOLT ACTION AND MODERATOR FOR SHOOTING DEER
on land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class firearm from the person by whom the shooting rights are owned or whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained

Maybe i am being a bit thick but this isnt as clear as it used to be :oops:

Looks pretty clear to me
All it required is permission of the land or lease holder and job done
I still need written permission and not verbal like what you hav

the conditions on my FAC have been changed , the names of my grounds have been removed and it now reads like this

The undernoted firearms and ammunition including expanding ammunition or missiles of such ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for the purposes specifiied including zeroing namely 22IN CZ RIMFIRE BOLT ACTION AND MODERATOR for shooting vermin ,

233 TIKKA BOLT ACTION for shooting roe deer and vermin
243 TIKKA BOLT ACTION AND MODERATOR AND 308 RIFLE BOLT ACTION AND MODERATOR FOR SHOOTING DEER
on land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class firearm from the person by whom the shooting rights are owned or whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained

Maybe i am being a bit thick but this isnt as clear as it used to be :oops:

No, it's not you being thick - it's your FLDs verbose method of trying to complicate what could be a simple condition. I note that there is no mention of use on ranges, is that deliberate or have they cocked it up by being too clever? Might be worthwhile checking it out with them otherwise it could be not you are not covered for that usage.

The condition they could have used - and which is helpfully written down for them in the HO Guidance to Police Appendix 3, (if only they'd follow it :rolleyes:) - could even be abbreviated to what they use down here in D&C land to cover all firearms on a certificate:

"The firearms and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and any other lawful quarry and for zeroing on ranges, or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot."

BTW. Fox also has a seperate section in the HO Guidance so isn't usually included within the term 'vermin'.

Do you also have the 'standard' condition allowing possession and acquisition of expanding ammo for all eventualities?

Last edited:
Devon and Cornwall who have always been co-operative and helpful, have this on my FAC. The firearms and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin and ground game/fox/deer and for zeroing on ranges, or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.
This is open enough for me!.

hmmmm so i could be doing wrong shooting a fox with my 308??

Really depends on how restrictive the condition attached to the use of the .308 is according to your FLD - from the look of it the .308 and .243 are limited to deer only as fox is not mentioned, but then again neither is it against the .223.

Some FLDs have some wierd and wonderful ideas about what is 'implied' by what they write on a cert - I think it was Brewsher500 who said that L&B wouldn't actually state 'fox' because they didn't want people 'habitually' using a large calibre rifle, although they didn't mind them being taken whilst stalking! :rolleyes: Therefore they accepted that such use was covered by the mention of a 'larger' quarry i.e. deer. I find that very strange and contradictory but they've even stated it in writing although appear unwilling to just simplify the FAC in the first place!

As myself, Old Keeper, (and CharlieT and others previously), have said, by and large open cert holders down here in D&C and some other forces where a bit of common is applied, get treated like adults who can make their own decisions on what calibre/cartridge is either suitable or legal for use on a quarry species - no need for some of the prescriptive crap that gets peddled elsewhere. Does it compromise public safety in any way? I'm guessing you already know the answer, so why do some FLDs waste time and money trying to tie people down and make life difficult for them?

Last edited:
Back