Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats wrong with 270

Whats wrong with 270

i was enquiring in my local gun shop about any second hand 270,s they may have. The impresion i got was that the 270 was about as popular as fart in a space siut. Why is this ?

Found the same south of the border. Was in Gilsan enquiring a couple of years ago. "Sorry, had a couple but shipped them up to Macleod's. No call for them this far south. Much maligned calibre. Kick and bang machines. I love mine. Virtually no kick used correctly. The crack of it is something hill stalking demands. The crack and thud is part of the stalking atmosphere. A bullet placed correctly knocks over a deer, fact. Designer calibres make the dealers rich. Jim

You wont find a better calibre for UK stalking (in my opinion obviously). I've never had any other centrefire and I doubt that I ever will unless I go abroad on the pigs!

.270 is a great calibre. If you want to have one rifle to shoot any legal quarry in the UK i dont think it can be bettered for its potent combination of accuracy, velocity, trajectory, and lethality. I've never understood why people think it kicks like a mule? i personally think the .308 is much more punchy and unpleasant to shoot.

I read on a web-site not long ago that the .270 will be re-discovered by the shooting press in a few years time and hailed as the best thing since sliced bread.

Until this happens pick up a bargain while you can!

Moderately loaded, with the correct bullets and powder load, it can be tamed and made pleasant to shoot.

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hi DC,
    There are more and more .270 owners turning up on Driven Boar shoots lately and acquitting themselves very well indeed.
    It may be to do with shot placement, I can't be sure but if they are used to using a .270 all the time then that could be the answer.
    Some of these 'big bore' owners only get to use them when on a driven shoot so may not be so familiar with their rifle so shot placement isn't so accurate, perhaps.
    One chap, on a trip last year, had a .270 Improved using 130gn bullets and he did very well.
    Another chap I shoot with regularly uses an X Bolt in .270 with 150gn bullets and wouldn't change it, if you gave him the choice, for anything else .

The choice of calibre that suits you you will shoot best with at the and of the day its about humane culling of your intended quarry.If one calibre suited everyone and everything there would not be a rifle trade
    Once shot a large no of deer in one session with 270, it hurt but it did the you pays your money and takes your choice

If you mount your rifle, any calibre, correctly, they really don't hurt, well they do hurt......... deer,...permanently,.................. my little safe queen is all zeroed up & boxed ready to travel Monday! A lovely old Sako Finnbear, in yes you guessed it , .270Winchester. Oh!, & Just in case I drop her very badly,........... I'll unbox the 7mm WSM.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Interesting reading EMcC, and good to know.