Thread: .243 mod fit a 6.6 x 55?

.243 mod fit a 6.6 x 55?

quick question gents. would the mod(pes t12) i have on my .243 fit a 6.5 x 55? taking for granted that the thread would be cut the same..
    regards, Jez.
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Correct size for any mod is 1mm dia more than bore size ie; 6mm bullet 7 mm bore for mod.
    suggest you get your calipers out and mesure hole in mod very carefully otherwise it could cost you much more than a new mod

I'm not too familiar with the PES T12 but according to the website it can be used for rifles ranging from .17 to .308, so it should be suitable for a 6.5x55.

Here is a link to the website where I got my info

JMS Arms - MAE Sound Moderators

My Pess t12 was marked up to .243, the bore measured out at .278 so no way would a .308 have worked, they must do at least 2 sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    My Pess t12 was marked up to .243, the bore measured out at .278 so no way would a .308 have worked, they must do at least 2 sizes.

be very careful and check if there is any markings on your sound moderator, if it is marked up to .243 then don't use it on a 6.5x55.

Follow reodeerrd's advice and measure the bore diameter of the sound moderator, if you are still unsure go to a R.F.D. and seek advice.

Wildcat p8 do a cal specific and for what your looking for it would be a 270 cal, 243 would be very tight. Woodydog

If you have any concerns, send the mod to you smith and have him run a drill bit up it to suit. I have a one ASE working on three different rifles.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I always by hand, place a pieace of amunition through the end of any entry/exit of a moderator to the calibre that is chosen for the moderator as a trial regaurds weather it say 308 etc just as a pieace of mine mind.
    So if it is a 308 moderator try a 308 round through it by HAND first.

As Claret dabbler said I would take the mod to a smith to he sure as it is not worth the chance that its not correct size

Seeing as most gunshops do not have a Gunsmith might it not be a better idea to contact the manufacturer of the moderator. I brought a Wildcat P8 and due to a mix up in the shop instead of a .30 cal one ended up with a .243 one. Luckily being nosy I stripped it and tried a .30 cal bullet in the baffles as they looked a mite small to me. No go so some searching on the web then a phone call to the manufactures revealed in fact I had a .243 moderator .

Now luckily I wanted it for use on a 25-06 and the manufacutrers assured me that if the threading was true then it was fine to use on the .25cal. later I tried a 6.5mm bullet and it had clearance so have also used the .243 P8 on the 6.5x55 rifle with no problems however this was with a Wildcat P8 and your PES might be different so check with the people who made it as let's face a lot of staff in gunshops have not got an idea of what they are waffling on about. Sure there are some good shops but there are a lot of no so good as well.