First steps.........

basil

Distinguished Member
With the help of Jon (Rick O`Shea) i took my first steps into the world of reloading today.
After reading through some threads and pm`s with other members i decided on 95 grain Nosler BT`s, Varget powder, CCI primers and my already saved Federal cases. The dosage of Varget given to me was 35.2 grains with the advice to start low and work up.
After checking that the cases were all under the maximum 2.045 and the OAL can be no longer than 2.710 we decided that we would start with four bullets of three diferent loads,
35.2 grains, 34.2 grains and 33.2 grains.
That done off i go to where i do my zeroing, leaving Jon to the rest of his day.
So first up, four rounds of 35.2. I set the 243 up on the bi pod on the bonnet of the car and a jacket under the butt, just right for the board that`s 100 yards away.
Well, with a gap between each round i didn`t fire the fourth round.
This was the result of three rounds.
001-63.jpg

Moving onto 34.2 grains, a much better result. Obviously this can be bettered but we`re going in the right direction.
002-64.jpg

Lastly and best was the load of 33.2 grains. The first bullet clipped the circle but as soon as i pulled the trigger with the second i knew i`d pulled it. Bullets three and four go very close to the first.
004-52.jpg

None of the cases showed any abnormal signs after firing.
A little tweaking to be done but a most satisfactory and enjoyable first reloading session.
basil.

Well done on your first steps into the wonderful world of reloading! It is fun and you will be convinced that you will work up a good load and stick with it but this just will not happen! It will be no time until you will want to change the bullet or fiddle with the powder or...

However, it adds a lot of fun to stalking and gives you even more control over your ammo supply. It has to be said that the 3rd target there looks like a very good load to me. What cartridge is this for? I'm guessing 243 from the details but there are probably 20 others that your figures might fit.

I see where you've got to with this and looks fine....you'll develop this more in time.
I shot a steyr .243W for over 20 years and my load was 44.5gn Vit. N160 with Rem 91/2 primer & 95gn Nosler BT bullet.
This would give me 1/8" MOA group if I was 'Trying'. Usually 1/4" MOA. OAL measured with a comparator was 2.490".

However, the secret is in your brass prep. First read up about that, then size & trim your cases back to 2.035". That should be your start point.
Cheers, :tiphat:

Basil

Hope you dont mind me saying..... you made one big mistake. NEVER START WITH YOUR BIGGEST LOAD !!!!!

You should have fired the 33.2 load (checked brass) Then fired the 34.2 load (check brass) then fired the 35.2 load.

By doing it this way you should not get any nasty surprises !

Regards

Sticks

Basil

Hope you dont mind me saying..... you made one big mistake. NEVER START WITH YOUR BIGGEST LOAD !!!!!

You should have fired the 33.2 load (checked brass) Then fired the 34.2 load (check brass) then fired the 35.2 load.

By doing it this way you should not get any nasty surprises !

Regards

Sticks
No i don`t mind you saying because you are correct and Jon did mention this earlier in the day. Thanks for pointing it out.
I think i got caught up in the moment, firing my own reloads for the first time.
Thankfully, no nasty surprises but it is a reminder for next time.
basil.

No i don`t mind you saying because you are correct and Jon did mention this earlier in the day. Thanks for pointing it out.
I think i got caught up in the moment, firing my own reloads for the first time.
Thankfully, no nasty surprises but it is a reminder for next time.
basil.
Hi Basil,
Just keep checking for Pressure sign's and don't cut any corner's ;)
Best of luck with the "ADDICTION" mate it will take over your life and that's a Promise :D
ATB
Wullie.

Back